What's new

How could I have made this sharper?

OregonAmy

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 21, 2007
Messages
201
Reaction score
0
Location
Kansas City MO
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was in a gardening shop this weekend and had my camera with me. Anyway, this cat was perfectly posed so I snapped a shot, but as you can see it's not sharp. Before I could adjust my settings, she ran off (of course). I loved the colors, though.

DSC_0015.JPG


Aperture Priority mode (my default)
ISO 400
f/6.3 (don't know why it was there... but it was)
1/25s

I would have probably stopped down to f/11 and used a flash to get the shutter speed up. But is there a better approach? Suggestions please. :)
 
What a cool photo!

I would imagine that the shutterspeed of 1/25 is responsible for a touch of camera shake, but to be honest, I can't see it except on the cat's right side (next to the table).

You are right, the colors are great. Your composition is very good for a "knee-jerk" photo. Sometimes, I guess, you just have to fire away and hope you get a good exposure. I think you succeeded!

Which lens? If it is a kit lens, that may explain the softness that you see. :dunno:
 
Lens, I didn't think about that. This one IS pretty slow... it's a 55-200 f/4-5.6 But, I have gotten sharper shots with this one. Do you think that having the flash would have helped at all, or would it have washed out the shot (it would have been with the built-in as I didn't have my speedlight)? Or made no difference? I was a few feet away - this was taken at 55mm iirc.

Thanks for the compliment on the shot; I was pretty happy to get it. BUT because it's blurry (on both the left and the right - you can tell on the chair legs) I'm really disappointed ... I like the colors & composition so much that I'd have liked to frame this. But I know the blurriness would drive me batty. Maybe I'll just get it in a tiny print. LOL.
 
One thing I have done with pictures that turn out a little blurry is give them a "vintage" look. Not sure what kind of editing software you use, but you should be able to do it. There are many actions for this for photoshop. Not everyone is into the fake vintage (it does seem to be overdone, and may decrease your likelihood to get it framed), but with the antique looking chairs and cabinet it may work for this photo.

As far as the flash goes, technically I think it would have increased sharpness, but taken away from the feel of the room, which probably would have made you like it less.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom