How do i achieve this look?

Woodstock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Photoshop. High key image, then overlays of color and texture masked and played with

You could probably accomplish a similar effect with hand coloring a print, possibly with watercolors.

Claiming that something is "not a photoshop" is pretty pointless. Any effect can be accomplished in a bunch of ways, photoshop being just one.

Over-light the original photograph, strobes visible in frame to create some lens flare, post process for fairly high contrast. Then you need to some way to make everything except for the eyes look filmy, which could with layers and masks in photoshop, or possibly some techniques like lightly bleaching a print. Then there's colors, which could be a combination of gels on strobes, and colors applied in post (more masks and layers in photoshop, or watercolors hand applied to a print, or, or, or)

@MLeek: thanks for you answer. It really looks like photoshop, but the photographer himself says, it is not :confused: Has anyone else any idea?

@amolitor: Well, i have nothing against photoshop, but i would rather achieve it without it ;)

@MLeek: thanks for you answer. It really looks like photoshop, but the photographer himself says, it is not :confused: Has anyone else any idea?
1. Use large gels (10" x 12" or larger) between camera and subject, but held further from the lens than usual (not mounted to the front of the lens - distance from lens depends on lens focal length) and shoot through them.

2. Use the foil to reflect some light onto the backs of the gels (camera side of them) to get some extra light and flare bouncing off them and into the lens. It might help to have the gels themselves not be dead-flat, but have some curvatures to them to help control the bouncing light to taste. Possibly even put small bits of foil onto the gels themselves.

3. Overexpose to taste.

I use these for various purposes, and I'm sure they'd work fine for such a setup:

Lee Filters Master Location Pack, 36 Sheet Pack of Pre-cut 12 x 12 inches for Color Correcting, Light Shaping Tools & Color Effects Lighting Filters

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Buckster, thanks for your answer. I just tried today what you wrote, but it doesn't work for me, the alfoil just acts like a "sunbounce", it isn't strong enough to cause such strong reflections and the reflections on the gel (i made some curvatures) look a lot different than in the picture above :-(

Hi Buckster, thanks for your answer. I just tried today what you wrote, but it doesn't work for me, the alfoil just acts like a "sunbounce", it isn't strong enough to cause such strong reflections and the reflections on the gel (i made some curvatures) look a lot different than in the picture above :-(
I suspect it's a matter of practice, positioning and patience, along with trying different sizes/strips of foil and reflected light to perfect the technique.

Most reactions

Back