How do I clean the lense of paint. well, literally!

Oh, if that's 35mm equivalent 18mm will be a little wider than what he has now. Not sure how noticable it will be though.

EDIT
Oops, forgot about the crop factor - 18mm will be pretty much the same as he has now. Actually a hair longer, but I don't think it'll be noticable.

EDIT, Again...
Forget about the crop factor - 18mm IS wider than he has now. Sorry to confuse you... 18mm will be a little bit wider than the camera he has now.

Last edited:
good to hear your lens cleaned off good:thumbup:, its rewarding when things like that go well.

I just marked up an old lens filter with permanent ink marker and let it dry. Just glass cleaner took it off with no problem.
Wow, a real lab tech! And me with my 16 cases of High-Karate :lmao:

Sheesh!... Why do I bother! :p

Oh, if that's 35mm equivalent 18mm will be a little wider than what he has now. Not sure how noticable it will be though.

EDIT
Oops, forgot about the crop factor - 18mm will be pretty much the same as he has now. Actually a hair longer, but I don't think it'll be noticable.

EDIT, Again...
Forget about the crop factor - 18mm IS wider than he has now. Sorry to confuse you... 18mm will be a little bit wider than the camera he has now.
18*1.6 crop factor is the calculation to get 35 mm equivalent, right? Just as he said in his post? Thus, it would be 29 mm equiv. which is not wider than the superzoom's 27 mm equiv. Superzoom cameras are always stated in 35 mm equivalent (in very small print somewhere under the very large 12X print, hehe).

Or looking at it the other way, the superzoom's wide angle of 27 / 1.6 = 16.9 mm in majority dSLR equivalent. 16.9 is wider than 18.

18*1.6 crop factor is the calculation to get 35 mm equivalent, right?

No, 18 is the 35mm equivalent. 18*1.6 is to get the "effective" focal length.

So in this case it's 18mm vs. 27mm (since both of those are stated in 35mm equivalent).

I think that's right...I don't know what to think anymore. I was trying not to confuse anyone, and I just confused myself.

I have really confused myself (and you)...

OK, 18mm on a SLR lens is 18mm on a 35mm SLR; on a crop sensor it is (still technically 18mm, but has the field of view of) a 29mm lens.

Your friend's superzoom has the same field of view as a 27mm lens on a 35mm SLR.

The superzoom is (just barely) wider.

If he wants something significantly wider than that he's going to be looking for a 10-22mm or a fisheye. Something along those lines.

Hopefully this will clear things up.

(And if anything I've said is not accurate, somebody please correct me.)

I've repaired cameras and lenses for years. The newer lens coatings won't be hurt by acetone. Where the damage enters in, is when a cloth or cotton is used to scrub the lens.
I've even removed dried egg white from a lens. Photog got egged at an event. :)

Most reactions

Back