How do I open raw files in Adobe Photoshop?

Britta G

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was recently advised to take pictures in raw, so that I can edit better. I did my first photoshot using raw, and when I go to open the files in photoshop cs4 it gives me this error "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document." I have installed all updates in photoshop and my lightroom opens raw files with no problem.

I use a Nikon D90 and the format the raw files are saved in are .NEF

How do I open raw files in photoshop?

If you already have Lightroom, then I'd suggest you do as much editing there, as you can. Then either use the 'Edit in...' to take the image into Photoshop (and thus back to LR)....or export them from LR as a TIFF or PSD file and open that in Photoshop.

Thanks so much! I do most of my editting in lightroom, but I need to clone something out of a picture, and that's when I realized that I could not open my files in photoshop. I have only had photoshop and light room for 2 weeks, and I had no idea I could transfer pictures from one program to another like that. :)

Should mention in CS4 go to find out what updates you have for plug-ins. Go to help, about plugin, and click on what you want to check. In this case Camera Raw.

And the link I provided was for Windows system. You could be on a MAC. :confused: :mrgreen:

Should mention in CS4 go to find out what updates you have for plug-ins. Go to help, about plugin, and click on what you want to check. In this case Camera Raw.

And the link I provided was for Windows system. You could be on a MAC. :confused: :mrgreen:

Awesome! I am on a PC, but I didn't know about that either :). I'm doing that right now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back