How do I set "correct" exposure on my Sony Cybershot?

snapsnap1973

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi. I have the Sony Cybershot DSCH20 and am wondering how I set "correct" exposure. I read a tutorial that on a DSLR (I think) you set the Aperture and then the shutter speed and a graph lines up until you get the "correct" exposure. Can this be done on my lowly cybershot?

On my DSLR there's a scale in the bottom of the viewfinder that shows whether you're over/underexposing in manual. There should be a similar feature on the screen of your cybershot, check the on-screen settings for manual mode.

Did the camera come with a manual? If so, it should all be explained there.

I read a tutorial that on a DSLR (I think) you set the Aperture and then the shutter speed and a graph lines up until you get the "correct" exposure. Can this be done on my lowly cybershot?

I'm not failure with your camera but it should be the same basic concept on your camera. Your camera however will not have physical knobs, buttons etc that let you control this you will have to do that via a menu on the camera.

You should consult your cameras manual to learn how to do that from the menus.

I just read that it's "measured by an EV Value" and that 0EV is considered to be judged by the camera as the best exposure.

On most DSLR's it depends on the mode (excluding the "Scene" modes"). If you are shooting in aperture priority then you pick the aperture and ISO you want and the camera chooses a shutter speed for a proper exposure at that aperture. If you are shooting in shutter priority you pick the shutter speed and ISO you want and the camera chooses an aperture for a proper exposure at that shutter speed. If you are shooting in manual then you pick the aperture, ISO, and shutter speed based on the light conditions. All DSLR's will also have a bar graph meter in manual mode to show what the camera thinks is a proper exposure.

As to whether that can be done on your camera I think the owner's manual would be the best resource to answer that. According to the images I'm seeing of the H20 there appears to be a manual mode ("M") on the selector dial, however if it's anything like my old H9 changing shutter speed or aperture is a nightmare.

Most reactions

Back