How do I take photos like this?!

TacotheTurtle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know there are a lot of these threads but I have to know how people get their photos to look like this? I really like the contrast, and colors and what not?
Can someone please help me out?

<OP: The image was deleted since, based on your wording, it would appear that it was not your image and therefore violates the TPF rules. Please refer to the TPF FAQ for more information. You may edit this post to include a LINK to the image if you wish.>

Last edited by a moderator:
usually when this question is asked, the example is pretty bad.

this OTOH is a whole new level bad. its just plain awful. why would anyone want to emulate that?!

to answer your question: don't use a flash, don't use a scrim, don't use a reflector or diffusor of any kind, go out and shoot at about 3:00pm on a fall afternoon when the light is the absolute worse. Don't ETTR or do anything else that would open up the shadows. Just fire away with no attention to detail at all.

usually I'm like "whatever floats your boat ... damn hipster" but good gravy this is just awful and without any redeeming value whatsoever.

Last edited:
Well, START with an attractive, tall, 20-something young woman who is wearing a Chicago Cubs jacket and backwards baseball cap, and of course,wearing only a pair of panties...and no pants! So, then take her down to the train station, and have her pose next to the chain link fencing, late in the afternoon, and slanting, dappled sunlight. ANd of course, I am including this because this is what the photo you are showing us shows, and I figure that within a half hour, it'll be removed. As far as what lens to use, I'd say a 50mm from about 12 feet back.

........." but good gravy this is just awful and without any redeeming value whatsoever.

She's got nice legs. Doesn't that count?

besides, I think her right leg is too cubical.

The detail is not good and the color is very dull. There is a lot of contrast between light and dark so it would be easy to overexpose the aluminum pole (reflecting lots of light). I'm not a professional but may have to use exposure compensation. And the blue should jump out at you if you want a really good picture. Try a wide aperture because the sun is not bright and set white balance to Cloudy Day (or Custom) and experiment.

Was that photograph taking with this camera?
$Fisher-Price-Kid-Tough-Camera.jpg

Attachments

• $Ruby by Annie.jpg
    $Ruby by Annie.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 126
Why did I have a feeling at least one of the posters on here would have brought their children a Toy Camera! ... Starting them young in to the hobby.

Why did I have a feeling at least one of the posters on here would have brought their children a Toy Camera! ... Starting them young in to the hobby.

That's so they keep their paws of the expensive stuff.

That's so they keep their paws of the expensive stuff.

The Fisher Price is Annie's (aged 3).
The 7 year old has a real camera...a 400D:

24-3-2012 TinyTogger does YWP by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

And takes pretty good photos:

Meerkat - RM by Tiny Togger, on Flickr

:)

Most reactions

Back