How do you do eyes?

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have read in a few places people saying "you should add catch lights to the eyes". How do you go about doing that?

Can people share some other eye editing tips? I have paint shop pro XI. There are very few psp tutorials, like on youtube.

Well, that all depends how you want to add catchlights.

The easiest (and preferred) way to do that is when you are shooting. Some kind of directional light on the subject will produce a catchlight in the eyes. The proper use of flash with a bounce card, softbox, or umbrella, and even a reflector will produce catchlights.

If you do it digitally, you can select a white paint brush and pop in a little bit of white on the pupils. This can however look fake if you don't do it correctly, and I wouldn't recommend it.

anyone have an example? i don't know what it means at all. thanks!

anyone have an example? i don't know what it means at all. thanks!

Look at the white specks in their eyes next to the pupils. Those are catchlights. Its caused by your light source when shooting.

Here is an example of real catchlights done with studio lighting. This was from a flash bounced off an umbrella and also some window light as well.

sabrina2.jpg

It can also be inserted digitally in post processing. Here is an example of fake catchlights done in photoshop:

IMG_3952_2_blur_copy_700_vig_sig.jpg

Hope this helps.

That first shot with the little baby is absolutely superb.

Also, you can whiten eyes in Photoshop fairly quickly. Once you done this once or twice, you'll find it quick and easy to do afterwards.

Create a "Curves" adjustment layer, then change the layer mode (from the drop down menu) to "Screen". Notice how that lightens everything? You'll need to change the foreground of the adjustment layer mask from white to black (the fast way is press X and hit alt-backspace), and the picture will look normal again. Then use a soft edged brush to paint white over where the whites of the eyes are (as well as the bottom of the eyelid) - this is bringing back the lightening affect you got earlier. At this point your subect's eyes will look TOO white - so lower the opacity of the layer to make it look natural. I like it very subtle so I take it down to 25%. Works a charm...

I have found that it is not usually necessary to add catchlights but rather make the most of what is already there.

Using PaintShop Pro X1, the brightness and contrast control is really good for improving the eyes, as well as the dodge and sharpening brush.

I also use an extreme feather of about 20 or so when I am doing a selection around the eyes to make sure brightening the eyes does not artificially brighten the skin.

skieur

Catchlights draw you into the eyes which should be the heart and soul of a photo.

I think NJMan has done this perfectly!

My trick with eyes (you can see examples on my flickr account) is to select the iris and pupil area, and do an unsharp mask. You'll have to play around with settings, depending on your lighting, but it really is an amazing trick, and brings out the details of the eye (and the catchlight) amazingly well.

I don't edit eyes. I get it the way I want it in camear. Now, if someone had really bad veins or something in their eyes, I would probably edit - but I just don't tend to edit eyes at all.

thanks for the advice. i found using a fill flash really helped this weekend

I don't edit eyes. I get it the way I want it in camear. Now, if someone had really bad veins or something in their eyes, I would probably edit - but I just don't tend to edit eyes at all.

I feel that way too... but I see many fasion photographers that purposely either shoot soft (sharpening off in camera) to make the skin look better and sharpen the eyes in PP or do the inverse... shoot overly sharp, and add a minute softness to everywhere on the skin avoiding the eyes.

It all really depends on what you want to accomplish.

I like sharper shots, personally... and if that means showing off the smaller imperfections of the skin, I do not mind.

That's the way I do it as well... I am kind of an "eye freak" so to me the most important thing I do when shooting is to get the eyes right in the camera... get them properly exposed and as focused as possible.

Then again, I am not a "fix it in post" kind of a guy.

Most reactions

Back