How do you get this effect??

slow shutter settings at night while on a tripod.

FYI: if it isn't your photograph, you should be posting a link to the content rather than a direct post of the photo.

slow shutter speed

you will def need a tripod for this if you don't have one.

i know bulb exposure will do it......maybe even 30s or slower

someone correct me if i am wrong.

yup 30 seconds or slower will do just fine and a tripod is a must have if u don't want a blurry shot

Depending on traffic, you can get a very similar picture in a lot less than 30 seconds. I did a nice one with an 8 second exposure time on a busy street. 5+ seconds can be workable.

Try it out and find what works best for you!

Depending on traffic, you can get a very similar picture in a lot less than 30 seconds. I did a nice one with an 8 second exposure time on a busy street. 5+ seconds can be workable.

Try it out and find what works best for you!

I actually have a picture like this of the 401 (the busiest highway here). I did it WITHOUT a tripod and with only 6 seconds of exposure. It worked out nicely, but it isn't nearly as clear as the one above.

The point is you can do it just hand-holding your camera at the railing of an overpass (I encourage you to try it out and see for yourself), but you will get MUCH MUCH BETTER results with a tripod and a REALLY REALLY long exposure.

Oh yeah, make sure there is no wind. :) (This last piece is my personal bit of experience)

Most reactions

Back