how do you guys and girls decide what to name your photo?

TheKenTurner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I was looking through my Flickr and realized that ~half of my photos don't have any names, and the names I do have really aren't that good. How do you choose the name for your photo? do you just do a two-word description of what's happening, or do you just comment what's going through your head at the time of taking your photo? I'm trying to get more active on the forum again, and I know I haven't seen something like this before.

I dont spend a huge amount of time naming my photos, however i do always name them, and often i try to think of something more interesting than "man with hat" or "tree in field"

Just whatever comes to mind or is at least a little clever sounding. :)

I don't name many of them and when I do I don't put much thought into it. Seems like a waste of time to me.

When I rarely do, I throw the alphabet on individual pieces of paper in a hat and pull out 5. That's the name, in the order they came out.

The same way I named my kids - random letters. Ain't that right, Lksudglkuwh?

The other is Kwyylllhcwr - has more of a Welsh ring, to it.:lol:

Anything I edit gets named. Western Vista tends to sell better than DSC_4681.

I just look at the image and make up a name. Sometimes, I have a name from when I was in the field taking the shot. That's why I have a voice recorder with me... to record my epiphany.

Image content drives what name I give an image. I only name some of my fine art images.

I co-fake-authored a book a few years back, entitled "Fake Name Your Baby Photo," published by Lea & Perrins, 57 Worchestershire Ave., New Yawk,New Yawk, $24.95 hardcover, $14.95 paperback, $9.99 PDF file." I of course, use my fake book for my fake names.

Usually it ends up being descriptive in some way. Like naming the place or person and the type of shot or something like that. However, I find that the best images end up creating their own names. It's how I know an image is special. If I look at it and an emotive and creative word comes to mind then I know it's good right there. Meaning, a name that isn't literal like one I just created for some friends (a couple) called "The Mark" being an alliteration to the emotional impact you can feel between them in the picture.

I co-fake-authored a book a few years back, entitled "Fake Name Your Baby Photo," published by Lea & Perrins, 57 Worchestershire Ave., New Yawk,New Yawk, $24.95 hardcover, $14.95 paperback, $9.99 PDF file." I of course, use my fake book for my fake names.

Can I get the e-book? :hug::

There are paints with and without title, poems with and without title, etc. For me, the title should be part of the process in some way: if you do not think at it, simply do not try to find one just for the sake of having one (except for the reason mentioned by 480Sparky).
When I can, I prefer to title, however since I do not like truly descriptive titles (I suppose that information is already in the picture), not many have really a title. And when I'm able to choose a title, its relationship with the picture might be too personal to be of general use... because it is not made only for me, of course. So, at the end I understand your trouble :) .

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back