How do you hold your camera?

mostly sunny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been watching people when they are out taking pictures. When I take a picture with my camera vertical I have the grip facing the floor.

I notice when I have been watching others most have the grip towards the sky.

Is there a wrong was or a right way to hold a camera?

I flip mine counter-clockwise, shutter button to the top.

Hmmm...I had to stop and thin about it. I think when hand holding, I flip it counter clockwise (button on top) too, but on a tripod, I flip it clockwise.

same here counter clockwise. I have a battery grip too, so when holding vertical the shutter button it is still on the top right. Tripod, same as Bitter also, clockwise just because thats the way my head tilts with the pan handle still to the back.

I go either way, depends on the situation. Counter-clockwise feels better, though. I don't think there is a "right" way to hold it... Just what feels best and gets the shot!

One hand under the lens, the other gripping from the right, index on the shutter, thumb on the focus (AF-L) button.
Sometimes I'll use the strap like a rifle sling and send it around my elbow, to ensure and accurate head shot.

I also turn the camera ccw when shooting portrait style. I have read that when doing so, try to tuck the elbows tight to the body.
I am not able to do that, no matter how hard I try.

When on the tripod, depends on what I am shooting at. I use my tripod A LOT.

I finally bought a portrait grip. It feels much, much better.

I also turn the camera ccw when shooting portrait style. I have read that when doing so, try to tuck the elbows tight to the body.

Yep, same here. CCW, Gripped with shutter release pointing up. On tripod usually the same.

Good point about the elbows, it helps with stability.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back