How do you make 5000 tons of reinforced concrete float?

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shape it like a ship of course! An interesting group of artifacts that I've finally managed to get the time to photograph (purely for their interest, NOT for their artistic merit) is a group of old concrete hulks used to form the booming ground breakwater at the Catalyst paper mill (nee The Powell River Company, Blodel, Stuart & Welch, and Macmillan Bloedell) in Powell River, BC (about 100 miles north of Vancouver). These ships are mainly WWII vintage, but one the ex SS Peralta (#3) was laid down in 1920. The best-preserved is the ex USS Quartz. #4 shows a view of the mill and some of the hulks from the water-side.

This is, I believe the largest colleciton of hulks and of concrete ships in the world.

Hulk%20%281%29.JPG

Hulk%20%282%29.JPG

Hulk%20%283%29.JPG

Hulk%20%284%29.JPG

Hulk%20%287%29.JPG

Hulk%20%285%29.JPG

Hulk%20%286%29.JPG

Hulk%20%288%29.JPG

Hey, I've got a great idea! Let's build a boat... out of concrete.

Yup, that's got government project written all over it.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

I lived on a concrete boat...well we called it a cement boat but it was like those constructions above. Very sea worthy and roomy.

why do i find this insanely interesting...

Great photos! I especially like #3 because of the angle you captured showing the mountains, treeline, boat and then water. Thanks for sharing.

Does a torpedo cause less damage to a concrete boat than a steel hulled one ?
Nice photos

I love 3, 4 7 the best
on #6 is interesting with the rebar still there.

If you just want it to float the shape of a ship is a long way from optimum.
To make it float is must simply displace more than 5000 tons of water.

Interesting shots though. I've never (knowingly) seen Ferro-cement ships before, just barges (mulberry harbor sections?) & yachts...

no replacement for displacement.

Hey, I've got a great idea! Let's build a boat... out of concrete.

Yup, that's got government project written all over it.
Well... d'uhhh....
I lived on a concrete boat...well we called it a cement boat but it was like those constructions above. Very sea worthy and roomy.
It's actually a good way to build something with compound curves, such as a ship's hull, and quickly, but it's heavy, and the ships aren't nearly as efficient as those made of stell.
why do i find this insanely interesting...
Probably, because like me, you're a little bent.
Unsusual and interesting, nice set!
Thanks! :)
Great photos! I especially like #3 because of the angle you captured showing the mountains, treeline, boat and then water. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers!
Does a torpedo cause less damage to a concrete boat than a steel hulled one ?
Nice photos

I love 3, 4 7 the best
on #6 is interesting with the rebar still there.
I'm guessing a torpedo hit on a concrete hull would be pretty spectacular; I'm going with more damage. A LOT more.

If you just want it to float the shape of a ship is a long way from optimum.
To make it float is must simply displace more than 5000 tons of water.

Interesting shots though. I've never (knowingly) seen Ferro-cement ships before, just barges (mulberry harbor sections?) & yachts...
There were thousands built during WWII, but almost all were scrapped very shortly after the war ended as they were horribly cost-ineffective to operate.

no replacement for displacement.
'Strewth!

Yep. Back in the day when I lived in Coronado there was a sailboat builder down on the Silver Strand that got some serious money building very well appointed cement sail boats.

Nice! We have a few out near the Eastern Shore in VA at Kiptopeke State Park which are being used as water breaks and a home for local wildlife.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back