How do you use fill-flash?

steve817 said:
Matt, how well do you know the Canon EX flashes?

I only know the 550EX. That's the only Canon flash I have. I prefer non-dedicated flashes because I usually have to use them with different cameras.

I don't know anything about the Powershot A520.

I have on my D70s an option to decrease the flash exposure.

Will the decreasing of the flash exposure a stop lower give the same result as the procedure above (setting the aperture a step lower (higher F number)?

cumi said:
I have on my D70s an option to decrease the flash exposure.

Will the decreasing of the flash exposure a stop lower give the same result as the procedure above (setting the aperture a step lower (higher F number)?

Well, that is what it's supposed to do, but it's an automatic function, and I just don't trust auto-functions. Do some tests, and see if it works for you. In the long run I've gotten more success, and spent less effort just figuring out how to do things the manual way. Once you know how to do it manually, you can apply that knowledge to any camera or lighting system.

Thanks ksmattfish!

I have problem with the manual procedure when I want to take a photo of my son (1.5 J). He is moving and running all the time, so I would have to change constantly the apreture... I will do some tests to see the difference.

You have to learn to do it like the photojournalists of the past. Memorize the aperture or flash power setting for 5', 10', and 15' (or whatever distances work for you).

Most reactions

Back