How Does Body Language Affect Your Posing

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Stumbled across this, probably one of the most comprehensive lists of body language I've seen in awhile. body language and social dynamics › sonamics Some I already knew, some I didn't. So how many actually use this when considering a pose?

I have never applied this to my posing...since I just was exposed to this article.I learned about posing in the late 1980's.One might say I came to this article 35 years too late.

Good article.

I thought so. Something many forget is how your own body language affects your subject. As a sales professional for years I had to learn most of this as it related to my interaction with a client.

Stumbled across this, probably one of the most comprehensive lists of body language I've seen in awhile. body language and social dynamics › sonamics Some I already knew, some I didn't. So how many actually use this when considering a pose?
Smoke, I've never used that stuff and I've been doing portraits for years.
This looks like something that might be more important in the movie industry than in still photography, and that's assuming that it's not just somebody's personal opinion as opposed to established industry facts.
SS

Smoke, I've never used that stuff and I've been doing portraits for years.
This looks like something that might be more important in the movie industry than in still photography, and that's assuming that it's not just somebody's personal opinion as opposed to established industry facts.
SS

Its likely you've used or been influenced by it every day without realizing it. Look at any of the 24/7 media circuses, they blantantly use psychology to "sell you" as a viewer. Pickup a newspaper or magazine, do you really believe the model just happened to be posed in that manner? Everything about that ad was planned out for maximum target effect.

The ability to read and use body language as well verbal ques are the difference between a successful sales person and a lucky one. I recognize so many of the signs in the article because I used them daily in business, from the handshake at a first meeting on. Most think salespeople "sell" something, but the professional guides a customer/client to the desired conclusion, using proven techniques.

I don't see much difference in a photographer guiding a client to pose a certain way. Do you want the client to perceive you as open and caring or aloof and cold? What do you want the pose to project to the viewer?

Most reactions

Back