How does one practice...composition? and C+C pls

jacqg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay I know the basics n such on working with lighting, working with the exposure triangle some basic stuff but, I can't seem to get composition right at all. When I realized this, I felt that all my work are just..horrible O_O. So that said, HOW do I practice getting better with composition?!

Here, My Flickr.

Some of the shots I need to straighten/crop but I haven't gotten the time to. C+Cs highly appreciated as well.

I'd suggest looking at some 'classic' art work, whether it's photos or paintings etc. Find some that you like and try to decipher what it is about the composition that you like.

As far as practicing composition with your own photography...I think it comes down to what you are thinking before you press the shutter release. Learn to look over your image in the viewfinder before make the exposure.

Like mike said, looking at others' work is always helpful/inspirational.

Don't center your subjects...except when it just works.
Try tucking your subjects into corners, experiment to find out what you like.
Look at lots of other GOOD photographers work, then come up with what you like.
Rule of thirds is a good starting point then branch out from there.

agreeing to all of the above, but also, you need to take the time to either correct after the fact, or even better, pay closer attention before tripping the shutter so things are straight to begin with and placed within the viewfinder in the manner you wish.

stronger composition comes from lots of practice and awareness. just keep working hard. The harder you work the "luckier " you become.

thanks everyone Dx.

cassel, ok I'm gonna read that book in a bit. :x thanks! I didn't even know there was such a book about composition.

i will pic up that book too.. thanks for info..

The book is good, but shooting more is key. In just looking at your small collection on flickr, your work isn't as bad as you say it is. As Mike said, pay more attention while your eye is at the viewfinder, but also just start seeing your world through a small rectangle even when your camera is not with you. Look at a scene, figure out what you intend to say with it, compose the shot and press the shutter. Experimentation will often reward you with new ideas. And as it has been said before, find photographers/artists that you like and deconstruct their composition. Figure out the "why" and try to implement their techniques. You're off to a good start though :)

thanks! I'll keep that in mind. Luckily, I have several art major friends :0 so I'll surely ask them about things. I will add more pictures on flickr when I can. :]

There is a lot you can read on the topic, and most of it is a blast. Yes, the more art you see the better you get. Many museums are free... :)
I liked the Grill and Scanlon book on photo composition (sorry if I misspelled their names, but should be enough for you to find it) - I found it in my local library (again, free - seeing a pattern here?)

excellent thread full of information.. appreciate it greatly

Taking an art design/composition class or two would be helpful. There you'd learn about the elements and principles of design; things like line,shape,mass,texture, hue, value, and repetition, variety, harmony, dissonance, etc. You can look at a lot of art, but until you understand "what" the building blocks are, there's little chance you'll learn much about composition except simplified "rules". Learning by osmosis is a slow and unreliable process, but learning from a qualified teacher, with a plan, is almost a sure-fire thing.

Here is an article written by John Paul Caponigro, a master photographer, print maker, and instructor and hosted at The Luminous Landscape web site. The illustrations in this article are unlike those I have ever seen in *any* article on composition, and show how one can use Photoshop's own tools to "dissect" a simple photograph, and show the underlying elements and principles of design as "principles" in their own right, and somewhat disassociated from the original photograph. Trust me, visiting this link is worth it--this article, plus an on-line tutorial on the elements and principles of design/composition will be most helpful.

Photographic Composition - Introduction

Here is an article written by John Paul Caponigro, a master photographer, print maker, and instructor and hosted at The Luminous Landscape web site. The illustrations in this article are unlike those I have ever seen in *any* article on composition, and show how one can use Photoshop's own tools to "dissect" a simple photograph, and show the underlying elements and principles of design as "principles" in their own right, and somewhat disassociated from the original photograph. Trust me, visiting this link is worth it--this article, plus an on-line tutorial on the elements and principles of design/composition will be most helpful.

Photographic Composition - Introduction

Thanks for posting this one -- I had read it and forgotten to mention it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back