How does this happen?

TheCheeseLady

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I can't remember which camera I used to take this photo. It was either an old Olympus camera or my Nikon DSLR, but I noticed that the fence and shed in the background just like..disappear into a white haze. I was just wondering how this happens.

DSC_0051.jpg

It's overexposed in the background. It's pretty basic-overexposed and blown out = nothing there.

Horrible backlighting scenarios can cause this. It's fairly common actually. The dog is in open shade...the background is in full sunlight...you can see the transition line in the yard...

I was unaware that you could overexpose just the background of the picture. I actually like it in that photo. Is there a way to purposely get that overexposed background look in photos?

sure.. one way would be put your subject in the shade.. with a normal sunny background... expose for the subject.... just like Derrel pointed out in his post above! :)

You need to spot meter for the subject.

If you expose for the dark things, the bright things will likely be overexposed. By the way, you took the photo with your Nikon...

Camera: Nikon D60
Lens: 60 mm
(Max aperture f/4.1)
Exposure: Auto exposure, Not Defined, 1/320 sec, f/4.5, ISO 200
Flash: none
Date: March 5, 2009

Thanks! I was pretty sure it was the Nikon. I just didn't bother to look at the info. Either way, I was confident I just had it on the auto setting. Otherwise, I would have had an idea of what I did. And yup, it's an old pic. My dog has a few more gray hairs now.:lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back