How I spent my weekend.

pjaye

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We hired a group that dedicates their time to saving, and using for education specialized species including birds of prey, and bats. We had seen their show twice, and asked them to come do an event where there were only 6 of us. It was held in Scott's moms back yard. They received no government funding, all donations and fundraising. They mostly visit schools, libraries and parks. They do birthday parties, but had never done an event with just 6 adults. We had so much fun. If you are interested in looking at their site The Ontario Specialized Species Centre

I haven't edited all the pictures yet, (we are giving them the pictures to use for their education materials and website) but I was so excited that I did a really quick edit of this one.

The gentleman with the owls said he would be shocked if I knew what the last owl was. He had no idea it was my favorite owl, the Spectacled Owl. Then he asked me if I wanted to hold him. Pretty sure I couldn't speak for a minute or two.

Scott took the picture, and of course I have his permission to post it.

I'm also including a really quick shot of the Eagle Owl he brought. I guessed that one but was really surprised that I was actually right. What a gorgeous bird.
spectacled owl.jpg
12095027_10156090904810237_518611796013540754_o.jpg

I'm green with envy.... beautiful birds.
They are gorgeous aren't they? They brought a Saker Falcon, a bat, the Eagle Owl and the Spectacled Owl. I've seen an Eagle Owl but only at the zoo, behind fencing. I've never been able to get a decent shot of it. I was two feet from this owl this weekend, and I have to say, those eyes will stop you in your tracks.

The Spectacled owl really loved having his beak rubbed. And he was chirping at Scott quite a bit.

This was, hands down, the best money I have ever spent. And it is without a doubt, the best experience I have ever had. It felt good, to help the facility with a donation and pictures. But being this close to these birds, took my breath away.

I'm so jealous.... really! I can't wait to see the rest of the pics. A bat... that is awesome!

I've never seen a bat up close. He was all cute and stuff... and then he opened his mouth. That thing had TEETH! Very white, very sharp mouthful of fangs! Little tiny fangs. I burst out laughing. He was so darn cute.

Very nice shots. We have a raptor rescue here in Vermont called VINS (Vermont Institute of Natural Science) that rescues and rehabilitates injured or sick birds. In most cases they are injured to the point that they aren't able to fend for themselves in the wild so they take care of the birds throughout their life, and use them for educational purposes. My fiancee and I went there a couple years ago, and I got to see a wide range of birds from various types of Hawks to Peregrine Falcons, a Great Horned Owl, a Barn Owl, and even a Golden Eagle, as well as a pair of Bald Eagles.

Here's a few photo's I took from that trip a few years ago. Some are better than others, as some where in cages and I was forced to shoot through the fencing. I'm planning to go back again sometime soon to get some even better photo's.

When I worked at a Children's Hospital a few years ago we had a little brown bat that decided to take a nap on the brick right by the door to my office. He was just adorable.

Very nice shots. We have a raptor rescue here in Vermont called VINS (Vermont Institute of Natural Science) that rescues and rehabilitates injured or sick birds. In most cases they are injured to the point that they aren't able to fend for themselves in the wild so they take care of the birds throughout their life, and use them for educational purposes. My fiancee and I went there a couple years ago, and I got to see a wide range of birds from various types of Hawks to Peregrine Falcons, a Great Horned Owl, a Barn Owl, and even a Golden Eagle, as well as a pair of Bald Eagles.

Here's a few photo's I took from that trip a few years ago. Some are better than others, as some where in cages and I was forced to shoot through the fencing. I'm planning to go back again sometime soon to get some even better photo's.

Thank you!

Your pictures are great. I've never seen a barn owl but Scott has. The golden eagle is on my list of life birds. He showed us a video of one hunting, it was incredible. You have several pictures of birds that are on my list.

Last edited:
Speaking of bats, I watched a program on TV last week were a lady in OZ was nursing orphaned Fruit bats to be ready for release. I think it was the World channel.

Wonderful Barb. It's great that there are sooooooooooo many rescue and rehab facilities and orgs. all over.
I just watched this movie on Netflix this weekend Owl Power ~ Full Episode | Nature | PBS.
The couple in the movie raised two owls - they even showed one hatch. (Did you know they respond to voices even while still in the egg?)

I did know that! But I haven't seen that movie. Going to have to watch it.

Most reactions

Back