How I transitioned to mostly manual, and why/when I use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
when that's what you've been doing for at least 15 years and you're too stubborn to change.

there will be some loss in IQ. but one copy should be fine.

OH! And don't forget to use the "auto" button on the copier.

*scoffs* I only print my manuals about manual settings by using the manual printer settings AND the manual paper feed tray!

*scoffs* I only print my manuals about manual settings by using the manual printer settings AND the manual paper feed tray!

screw that! that's TOO automated! you need to learn the basics first... I manually reprint MY manuals with parchment and a feather dipped in ink I made from scratch!

screw that! that's TOO automated! you need to learn the basics first... I manually reprint MY manuals with parchment and a feather dipped in ink I made from scratch!

If ain't written in stone by the finger of God, it ain't worth reading.

THERE IS NO REASON TO USE MANUAL PAPER FEED unless you're using posterboard! It's doing the exact same thing and modern paper feeds are equipped with feedback sensors that all but eliminate paper jams.

If ain't written in stone by the finger of God, it ain't worth reading.

damn...burned. I got nothing.

THERE IS NO REASON TO USE MANUAL PAPER FEED unless you're using posterboard! It's doing the exact same thing and modern paper feeds are equipped with feedback sensors that all but eliminate paper jams.

You would think that being an amateur... Those of us in the industry look down our collective noses at such things.

Who gives a damn what mode you use? Only two things matter at the end of the day...1)did you get the shot you wanted. 2) are you happy with the result. Use whatever mode you are comfortable with to get the shot, and if that is M,A, S,P or full auto so be it.

You would think that being an amateur... Those of us in the industry look down our collective noses at such things.

Said like a true Craig's List Copy Shop. Most pros these days use automated paper feed. I mean, perhaps it works better on your cheap Brother All In One, but the real pros with Xerox and Technics workhorses know they can rely on auto paper feed when it really matters, even with large format reproduction.

And when was the last time you heard of an offset press using manual feed? Like they're printing tens of thousands of impressions one sheet at a time. Give me a break, you're just a MWAC (mother with a copier).

fjrabon,
Your OP was soooooo lengthy that I took the liberty of condensing it, for those who want the tasty bite-sized morsels we've come to expect. So...here it is, your post, condensed, using modern methods designed to convey the most information in the fewest words, and with the greatest comedic and satirical effect. This condensed, bastardized, hybridized, utterly-butchered version of your post is, if you will, designed for the "Green Box" sub-set of shooters.

How I transitioned to mostly manual, and why/when I use it

"There's been a lot of talk around here lately.

Manual can be very daunting. Aperture priority is quite an amazing thing, especially in modern Nikon cameras with matrix metering.So, let's say I'm in A mode, Let's say that I dialed the perfect settings.Snap it, great. Next, in order to stand out, you can't do what everybody else is doing. And that's what A mode does.

Luckily for me, I was more or less forced into shooting M mode.Manual is a PITA if you have to hold down a little button to adjust shutter speed. And really, there's nothing wrong with shooting in A mode. A huge number of photographers shoot this way.Things are a bit more complicated than that, but that's all we need to know for now. If you just want a standard looking exposure, just shoot in A mode, or even P mode. Fiddling with the buttons to get yourself there is the easy part, though that's perhaps what seems daunting to people starting off. that makes you a photographer instead of just a snapshooter.

Shooting a black dog is tough, because naturally the eye is drawn to light things, so you have to work a bit harder.I'm not saying any of this is better or worse than anything else, that's just how I do it. Feel free to take whatever you'd like and discard whatever you'd like."

It's threads like this that become pointless to me personally, but important for the technical geeks to pour through all the manuals and the regurgitate out the information. While the information for some is helpful. I stopped reading this thread a few pages ago, I expect so did many others.

How to take a simple thing like photography and make it sound complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back