How important is a bubble-level for your tripod head?

splproductions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought the Manfrotto 055XB tripod and the 391RC2 head.

Manfrotto Classic Tripod - Black - 055 Series
Manfrotto 3-Way Aluminum Photo Video Head with QR 200PL-14 Plate - Three Way

Am I going to regret not having a level on the head? I'm just getting into photography, so I'm not really sure how crucial that is. Most of what I do is landscape, and now that I have kids, family portraits, family events, etc. (I also really want a head that allows me to do video). I've been taking point-and-shoot photos for years and never really seemed to have an issue with keeping my photos straight, and anything that was noticeably off I've just adjusted in Photoshop.

Should I consider getting a different head, or will I be fine without a level?

They make bubble levels that clip into the hotshoe. You may want to look into one of those.

Some people never use it, others do. It's just a personal preference type thing. Personally, I use mine all the time.

I will say though that the kind that go in the hotshoe are more useful. The one on the tripod head does nothing for you in portrait orientation...

I think most of the time I'm going to have my Speedlight attached to the hotshoe.

Then why do you need a tripod?

Sorry, but if you're using on camera flash, I can't think of very many situations where you would also need a tripod...

Lol... true. There will be a fair amount of situations though where I'm taking family photos and I'll be triggering the camera with a remote. I guess those are probably the only situations where I'd use the flash with the tripod... any photo that I'm in.

I'm guessing then that a level probably won't be too crucial for me, and if I need one I can get the hotshoe ones.

In that case, just level everything out before you put the flash on. That's pretty much all you can do without a level on the tripod head (which will only work in landscape orientation).

Those levels that attach to the hotshoe are typically $20-30.

Here's one:
LensCoat 3 Axis Hot Shoe Bubble Level LCBL3X B&H Photo Video

Lightroom/Photoshop will level anything too

My sunpak has 3 different bubble levels but I usually use the level in live view on my sony.

Sorry, but if you're using on camera flash, I can't think of very many situations where you would also need a tripod...
What about when doing slow synch?

What about when doing slow synch?
That was one of the very few situations I could think of where the tripod/flash combo would be needed. Even then, depending on the exact circumstances, a tripod won't always help.

Most other examples I can think of, the flash would be off camera...

With digital photos and high pixel count, it is not that necessary anymore to get it very level. Just make sure you leave plenty of room. If you shoot with film however...

With digital photos and high pixel count, it is not that necessary anymore to get it very level. Just make sure you leave plenty of room. If you shoot with film however...
The same rules apply, for the most part. I don't get my film shots 100% level sometimes. If I need to, I'm not worried about fixing it in post.

It would be different (how much, I'm not sure) if you had a 100% wet process though. I have a hybrid process. Once it's scanned and on the computer, the workflow is no different than any other digital image.

Most reactions

Back