How important is a live view?

I couldn't care less about live view. I wouldn't use it if I had it. Live view is for snapshots.

I'm sure there are situations where it might come in handy, but I wouldn't let it influence my camera-buying decision by any means. You really can't even see it in the sunlight.

Very,very useful for tripod,macro,and acute angle photography. I agree with the comments regarding the advantages of using optical view finders,but there are times when live view is an absolute boon. I have the A350 and that semi articulated screen enables me to get some great low down shots without prostrating myself on the ground. Live view is here to stay,so learn how to take advantage of it!

This about sums it up:thumbup:

i have a friend that has the 300 with liveview i've used it and it feels weird taking shots with a dslr without looking at the viewfinder...

so when i bought my own got the a200...same specs as the a300 just without liveview...didn't also bother to get the one with the bundled 80-200 lens...might as well get a nicer one than the normal Sony lens (made in china)...like the Carl Zeiss or G models.

when i first got my alpha 100 having to use the view finder only was annoying
you soon get used to it
15k pictures later, you think nothing of it
put a protector over the LCD though ;)

I bought an A350 for the live view and articulated screen and use it quite frequently. It is perfect for shooting over the heads of crowds and for street photography. It is no longer necessary to get my pants dirty to take low angle shots. Simply put, live view gives any photographer more reach to get the shot at the right angle.

skieur

I have it on my 40D and I wouldn't pay extra for it. I've used it, but just to play with it. It's pretty much useless to me.

I'm using a 40D canon and I have been using live view recently only to take shots of the moon as the zoom feature allows for better focusing..

I opted for the a300 because of the live view. I've never had anything other than a point and shoot camera, so I'm use to looking at the live view. I've used it a lot so far with the tripod. I'm just not use to putting my eye up to the viewfinder. I have found it very useful, but I will learn to use the viewer sooner or later.
My thoughts were being in a crowd, shooting over head or down low when I bought it. I didn't know if I would need it, but I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry and buy it just in case.

I think "live view" is helpful in the studio or when using a tripod, but for handheld shots, IMHO it is useless.

Dave

+1. Also nice for tabletop photography, although a 90 degree viewfinder would render it frivolous.

Also, using the viewfinder on a PAS which doesn't have through-the-lens viewing just sucks.

Last edited:
I have a canon 40D, this camera also has the Live View feature. I have only found it useful when shooting at an odd camera angle, where I am unable to look through the view finder. For example, a close-up picture of seashell laying on the beach with the tide rolling in over it. for me to get this picture while looking through the viewfinder I would have had to lay on my stomach in the sand and water (no thanks). Live view allowed me to avoid this undesirable scenario and still get the shot I wanted.

I use my live view to help with my composition a little. Seeing through the lcd sometimes help me envision how the final shot will look. Also any changes made to the white balance can be seen through live view so I can check my color temperature without taking a photo. Other than that, yeah it's overrated a bit.

Down with live veiw

yes... that's correct.... especially with those grass level macros and low perspective shots you no longer have to get down with live view...

amen..

Live veiw is CRAP.
Please tell us how you really feel about it.
I have had the D300 for a year and, have yet to use it. Hell I never used the LCD with my old P&S when I had that option. I tried it once on the P&S and felt it disconnected me from the experience of actually shooting. Ground glass is the only live view I actually liked.

also tripod macro shooters will use live view, on the newer DSLRs, which has 2* image magnification so that they can get the focus spot on!
Kind of like using an anglefinder- only one does not have to spend £/$100 or more on one and it can be viewed from a normal angle rather than always at a right angle.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back