How Important is ...

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Encouragement?

We've done critique ad nauseam--So, let's look at how important is encouragement, or lack thereof in your development as a photographer?

For the people of weaker personalities, little to no knowledge or low self esteem... it is CRITICAL that they receive it as regularly as a junkie get's their fix. For the people that are independent, strong and have a good self-image... it is as useless as a bad critique.

For the majority, it's somewhere in the middle between these two.

For the people of weaker personalities, little to no knowledge or low self esteem... it is CRITICAL that they receive it as regularly as a junkie get's their fix. For the people that are independent, strong and have a good self-image... it is as useless as a bad critique.

For the majority, it's somewhere in the middle between these two.

No Jerry, you misunderstood, how important is it to you?

For me it is very important. I find it helpful in my development as an artist. All of the great critiques that I have received have ended in encouragement by the crit giver. Or I have walked away with self encouragement.

Love & Bass

No Jerry, you misunderstood, how important is it to you?

Sorry! :confused: :lmao:
I definitely fall into the "useless as a bad critique" category. If someone says something, I will accept it politely, but I need absolutely zero encouragement in not just photography, but in anything that I do in life. I can fly through the good times, and pretty easily push through the hard times when others need someone to egg or cheer them on.

That said, in my personal life, with friends and family, I am the first one to pat them on the shoulder and say "well done!" or "that's ok, you'll get it next time, tiger!".

To me encouragement is key, which is why I've always assumed that it's important to every "advanced beginner" like me.

Last edited:
Not important to me at all. For me the purpose of critique is to see whether others notice the same good points and bad points that I see in the photo. If they missed something major, then that reduces the value of their critique accordingly. Occasionally, they spot something that I missed and that makes it very worthwhile. :D

skieur

for me it's not all that important, though of course it's always nice to hear that people appreciate your work. I'm a pretty private person though and don't like posting too much stuff. However, I have an amateur photographer friend who thrives on encouragement and praise, she seems desperate for it. I mean, I do not need to see pictures of your supper or your kids doing their homework, yet, she likes to show people with the obvious intent of getting praise on the photography.

Dont really need it myself. I have had to be totally independent since I was young so that may have something to do with that.

For me it is very important. I find it helpful in my development as an artist. All of the great critiques that I have received have ended in encouragement by the crit giver. Or I have walked away with self encouragement.

Love & Bass

To me encouragement is key, which is why I've always assumed that it's important to every "advanced beginner" like me.

It's good that a couple see the value in encouragement in positive development. I find encouragement motivational. I believe I do my best work in a positive frame of mind rather than considering negative criticisms and their sources. No psychodrama, statistical analysis or hoodoo to it, just free creativity and expression. I also think that encouragement opens the door to discussion of artistic expression with peers.

It depends. Sometimes I feel full of creativity and love to shoot just to shoot. At other times, if I'm in a slump and someone praises your photos it is feels great. To see someone's eyes light up when they talk about your photography is very rewarding and motivating.

I'm not as radical as Battou but, eh.

It's my vision that I'm trying to get across so when I'm finally happy with it- it's done.

I do like seeing the reaction my photos bring to other people from time to time. This requires my being there when they are first seen but I have little time for people to find something to say about a range of emotions they experienced and had to let pass.

We all exist in the moment, we all have our own unique blends of emotional range and contrast so to pontificate on our own experiences and expect other unique individuals to feel the same way seems to me to be a waste of breath.

For me I think I am beyond the point that I need it to keep going. I do appreciate it when recieved. But its not soemthing I really need. Obviously I have some pride when someone says they like my stuff, or a little anger when it's trashed. But I have been doing photography as a hobby / entertainment for long enough now. That I really don't show alot to others anymore. I kind of do it, just to do it type of thing. I really like to try new techniques out. Maybe play with different type of camera.

My wife on the other hand who is still learning. And gets frustrated quite a bit. I give her lots of encouragement. And I can see it helps her.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back