How is the graphite finish? hipsters need your help!

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Seriously considering getting the XT3 but can’t decide between the 2 options. I love the look of the silver/graphite model but I have 2 concerns.

1 - my eyesight sucks and I’ve read that the dial markings are much harder to see with the black on silver as opposed to the white on black

2 - does the silver/graphite scratch easily? Saw a photo of a used silver XT2 that had some scratches in the finish that were really noticeable due to the black underlayer showing through.

I went with the silver for the XT20 simply because it looked vintage, and, well- I'M vintage, so there's that.

Can you 'meet' both models in person and check out which one calls out to your photo spirit animal? Would give you a chance to see if you can see the dials adequately.

I've not had the 'scratch' issue, but then again, I try to baby my babies.

Seriously considering getting the XT3 but can’t decide between the 2 options. I love the look of the silver/graphite model but I have 2 concerns.

1 - my eyesight sucks and I’ve read that the dial markings are much harder to see with the black on silver as opposed to the white on black

2 - does the silver/graphite scratch easily? Saw a photo of a used silver XT2 that had some scratches in the finish that were really noticeable due to the black underlayer showing through.

As you might know I have the Hipster Silver and love it. I always look after my cameras but don`t pussyfoot with them, I had the silver X-T20 so as soon as the X-T3 came out I knew it would be the silver one. Had mine now for a while and no scratches at all on it.

PS: I wear reading glasses but don`t wear them when using my X-T3 as I can still see all the settings clearly. I had heard some folk do find it hard to see the white on silver but for me it`s not a problem.

3 quick shots with my P&S, sun was coming through the window.

P4600003.JPG

P4600004.JPG

P4600006.JPG

Nearly 30 days I have had mine and not one scratch on it.

I went with the silver for the XT20 simply because it looked vintage, and, well- I'M vintage, so there's that.

Can you 'meet' both models in person and check out which one calls out to your photo spirit animal? Would give you a chance to see if you can see the dials adequately.

I've not had the 'scratch' issue, but then again, I try to baby my babies.

I’m going to the local camera store this weekend to see if they have them in stock to try out in person.

PS: I wear reading glasses but don`t wear them when using my X-T3 as I can still see all the settings clearly. I had heard some folk do find it hard to see the white on silver but for me it`s not a problem.

I also wear glasses for reading but not when shooting. I guess I could read the settings in the viewfinder...

When it has been very bright sun when shooting the bands or vocalists I have not struggled to make out the numbers, but like you say you will be fine to read it all in the viewfinder.

Just in case you do get a X-T3, when putting a lens on the camera you can tell that the camera mount is better too as it`s a nice tight fit. Where the X-T3 would be better for you too is, the Face/Eye detect is fantastic so for your Baseball would be great.

Last edited:
For me what I have noticed on the X-T3 since switching from X-T2 is, faster AF speed great/fantastic face/eye detect ( in low light too ) a better camera mount as lens won`t wobble at all plus iso 160 or lower.

Just thought of something that you might of seen of Fuji X site. If you do get the X-T3 then do the firmware update first, then set the camera up how you want as some folk are doing the update and it`s setting the camera back to factory settings. Not happened to me yet though.

Alas, both Graphite and Silver(Panda)finishes will scratch down to black. Still, Fuji touted the Graphite finish on the original X-T1 as tougher. It certainly looks and feels different than the plain vanilla silver, though whether it's more durable? Dunno. A friend recently splurged on a graphite X-Pro 2 mit matching 23/2 Fujicron--drop dead gorgeous.
If you play rough and/or shoot stuff till it breaks, I'd go with the black finish. Know they're pricey now but the battery grip improves the handling of the X-T series bodies. Little weight penalty if you run with a single battery in the grip.

Alas, both Graphite and Silver(Panda)finishes will scratch down to black. Still, Fuji touted the Graphite finish on the original X-T1 as tougher. It certainly looks and feels different than the plain vanilla silver, though whether it's more durable? Dunno. A friend recently splurged on a graphite X-Pro 2 mit matching 23/2 Fujicron--drop dead gorgeous.
If you play rough and/or shoot stuff till it breaks, I'd go with the black finish. Know they're pricey now but the battery grip improves the handling of the X-T series bodies. Little weight penalty if you run with a single battery in the grip.

Good info thanks.

I’m not interested in the battery grip. I switched to Fuji to get smaller and lighter so don’t see the grip as anything I’d want or need.

So what you are really saying is ... should I get the chrome or black version of the Leica M10
:bouncingsmileys:

LEICA-M10,-silver-chrome-finish-Order-no.-20001_teaser-1200x800.jpg

LEICA-M10,-black-chrome-finish-Order-no.-20000_teaser-1200x800.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back