how is this done with the sun

Ilovelearning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
THis girls rules the sun. Here is an example of what I am trying to do

What it was that made you strong on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I wasn't sure on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I would like to know how I should approach landing this shot.

Every time I point my camera toward the sun it overexposes everything.

I'm confused how they are not silhouette since it's back lighting.

How should I face this. Should I line the girls up away from the sun and use auto. Then see what the camera uses. Put it into manual. Use what it said when I did the auto and then place them back in front of the sun.
Thats what I tried and it still over exposed everything.

I know you can over power the sun, but thats not what these girls are doing.

Do you think they are doing this when the sun is about to go down and that makes it less bright where it doesn't over expose.

ANy help is appreciated.

Reflector anyone..?..ooh yeah GND filters :D...i think..lol

I don't think they used a GND filter. They had the camera in manual mode and probably used spot metering and metered off the girls. Also, a good lens will help cut down on flare. Oh, and NO UV filter! It will make the flare much much worse.

That picture is awful and the sun and lens flair is painfully distracting.

It looks like just "i'm going to take a picture straight at the setting sun" to me.

1) Shoot toward the rising or setting sun with
2) A clean, smudge free lens or front filter on your camera or cell phone
3) Evaluate exposure, adding + or - Exposure Compensation to get desired exposure if in an AUTO exposure mode
4) If your camera or cell phone is old and low-tech, you MIGHT, I repeat MIGHT, be able to add exposure by partially covering an external light sensor with a small amount of blocking material (plastic or whatever, or dark-colored film, etc). Covering or partially blocking an externally-mounted exposure sensor only works if your cell phone camera uses an external light metering cell or 'eye'.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back