How many candles are knotched on your belt

A little more altered reality from back then . . . I just turned 67, but when I was in my early twenties a friend and I had the opportunity to photograph a rock band for actual cash - our first and, I believe, only paying job. We borrowed every camera and lens we could, to show we were professional, and used a variety of film. Unfortunately, after a whole day of shooting around New York, we discovered we had forgotten to change the a.s.a. on our meters as we switched cameras, and wound up with a total of two usable reels of Kodachrome. We certainly learned a lot from that experience. We knew we had to give them a slide show, and we did, and they loved it. Two of the techniques we came up with (I don't think we were the first) were causing the slides to bubble using the heat of a match, which proved quite psychadelic, and sandwiching slides with (high def black and white) Kodalith one-to-one copies, which produced three dimensional effects. As someone said, necessity is the mother of invention. I still can't believe we got away with it, or how much we discovered could be done with 72 images.

Back in the day there was a saying "a picture doesn't lie". I'm not so sure that saying is valid today.

It's not valid today and it wasn't valid back in the day. Humans lie -- and they started to lie with photos right from the start. Hopefully digital technology has as least weakened in the public's mind the lie that photos don't lie.

I'm 60 and when I started in this business I learned to develop sheet film via inspection under a green safelight from an old codger named Nelson Renick.

Joe

touche' Sparky...touche'...LOL

I be 16, but I have more experience in being awesome than anyone.

Do you mean how old I *AM*, or how old I *act*? ;)
I'm 51--first camera was my grandfather's old Brownie at about age 10; then moved to a Kodak Instamatic. Which is why I just have no fascination with Instagram at all--I was SO happy to finally get an SLR as a teenager and get pictures that *didn't* look like they were taken with an instamatic, that I just don't quite get why I would want to purposely MAKE my photos today look like that! I guess that makes me the antithesis to a hipster (which, I'm pretty sure, is an "old codger.")

I did some darkroom work back in the 70s and very early 80s; enjoyed it, but not enough to miss it. I might enjoy dabbling in it a little again, if I had access to a darkroom, but I have no real interest in having my OWN darkroom again. I much prefer the modern-day ability to "develop" my photos on the computer while watching the ball game. :D

I just turned 13 yesterday...

I guess I grew up in the age where cameras became ubiquitous. Now everybody has a camera on them, whether it be in the form of a phone, a P&S, maybe even a webcam on your computer. Photography is becoming more accessible, which is causing its denigration as an art. Few people understand the effort that is put into real, quality photography nowadays, because it is all to easy to add Instagram filters, to instantly share via Flickr or Picasa, to process and capture photographs.

Thirteen years old, and using words like "ubiquitous" and "denigration." There is hope for our future. :D

Someone did a poll on age about six months or maybe a year ago. If you search for it you could find a lot of data. As I recall there were quite a few people in each of the age ranges.

Yeah... some weirdo did one.

I just noticed that TWO people claimed to be over 80! Assuming that they weren't lying (which may be too much to assume), I wonder who they were? 80+ and not only still out there doing photography, but joining an online forum? That would be impressive!

My 86-year-old mother is on Facebook, but I can't imagine her joining a forum.

I'm 30, I have half a degree in digital imaging with an emphasis in reproduction, half a degree in fine art with an emphasis in photography and a whole degree in nothing but bullshart.

I have about 10 years experience with film and about 5 years experience with digital.

Double Nickles on the next click.

1194566900_ZaYJp-XL.jpg

Well, at least I still have all my hair. :lol:

43 here. I have had both point n shoot film and digital. I am on my first dSLR. I did learn to develop film in high-school and then working in the college print shop where I developed printing plates and helped with some edits.

I'm 22.......... on the metric scale.
fiufiu.gif

That's not what you said in your other thread! I believe it was "29... on the metric scale" :lol:lol

"Well, at least I still have all my hair. :lol:"

After doing the math..that makes one of us...:lol:

Animaniac888 said:
Wow, there are so many people here with dozens and dozens of years of experience. Most of you have been doing photography before I was even born! I feel​ so insignificant...

Don't feel that way. Be excited to learn from that experience to help your ability. And actually remember that they are helping you.

Animaniac888 said:
Wow, there are so many people here with dozens and dozens of years of experience. Most of you have been doing photography before I was even born! I feel​ so insignificant...

Don't feel that way. Be excited to learn from that experience to help your ability. And actually remember that they are helping you.

I was saying it more out of awe than anything else.

Someone did a poll on age about six months or maybe a year ago. If you search for it you could find a lot of data. As I recall there were quite a few people in each of the age ranges.

Yeah... some weirdo did one.

I said nothing about the person who started the poll; I actually thought it was a great idea.

I just turned 59 not long ago and I've had the photography bug since 1975. I have had apartment bw darkrooms, basement bw darkrooms, I've used school darkrooms when I took a few college photo courses back in the late 80's (bw & color), and I've been processing digitally since 1997. I scanned negatives until I went totally digital in 2008. I got my first digital camera (Canon G6) in 2005 so I've been doing raw conversions since then.

Most reactions

Back