How Many Pros?

Moranton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just wounding how many working photographers use this site and/or how many people went to college for photography.(not just a class at a communtiy college)

lets just start a thread if you are one of the above just say your name and what you do, and if you want a website

Thanks guys

P.S. i am a 3rd year Brooks student
Name is Joel
and i am in the website class right now......

My name is Geoffe, I just finished up my BFA in photography and begin my MFA next fall. AS for professional work... I work as a commercial photograper as well as a fine arts exhibiting photographer. No website yet just a blog.

Moranton said:
Just wounding how many working photographers use this site and/or how many people went to college for photography.(not just a class at a communtiy college)

lets just start a thread if you are one of the above just say your name and what you do, and if you want a website

Thanks guys

P.S. i am a 3rd year Brooks student
Name is Joel
and i am in the website class right now......
[rant]

I almost went to brooks, and I would be thrilled if I was able to go there. Too bad it costs way too much than it's worth. I absolutly love Santa Barbera too. Eventually I want to move down there just becuase it's so gorgeous as opposed to the concrete jungle here in seattle. Speaking of which, I just started at the art institute of seattle and we have a couple teachers who graduated from brooks and say the same thing. "it's not worth $165,000+ to get a degree in any kind of photography."

I'm enjoying it alot, but It's annoying to have 80% of the class drop out beucause they think it's going to be easy. they all think "how hard is it to take pics?" Well, they all don't know that it's a competition and you really need to think about bringing a great result and something new to the table.

It sucks to see a whole bunch of crappy snapshots every week in class. It's so uninspiring it's not even funny. The worst part though has to be the fact that for the exception of about 5 people in my class, nobody applies themself. They try and squeeze their photo homework 20 minutes before class and they just end up being snapshots of cars driving by. You can just imagine the results-crap.

It's like "c'mon, you're paying 50k for this and you're not even taking advantage of it? GTFO!"

EDIT: You've seen the same thing, the people that don't know what the hell they're doing, and thought that photography would be fun beucase they like to take lousy snapshots of their freinds. I hate that I can't have a technical conversation with anyone in my class. For example, one person bought a D200 and didn't even know what the heck f/stops were. me, and 2 other people in my class are the only ones who already had their own SLR and lenses before classes started. Me, the D200 guy, and someone else with a D30 who doesn't know jack but likes to play with expensive gear. Everyone else bought the Rebel/18-55 kit that the school sells at the student store becuase they didn't know what an SLR was.

It's just that one would think that these people KNEW a thing or two before spending THOUSANDS of dollars on an education like this. [/rant]

Ahh yess... the oldest thread in the book. Do you want a website is definitely an added twist. Coincidentally I just committed to having a web site built for me. The wave of the future is not cheap.

I went to a four year college (SVA!!!) and assisted the whole time. Currently I work for a newspaper and have my own freelance biz.

craig said:
Ahh yess... the oldest thread in the book. Do you want a website is definitely an added twist. Coincidentally I just committed to having a web site built for me. The wave of the future is not cheap.

Good eye.... I missed that subtlty.

Sw1tchFX said:
"it's not worth $165,000+ to get a degree in any kind of photography."

165 000 + ?? eeeek. Wouldn't pay that much for any degree-programme in any subject.

165,000 is a lot of money, but the classes are great and the teachers are great. and now I can shoot ANYTHING and be great at it. anyway Sw1tchFX if you are looking for a teacher I have always wanted to teach.... my portfolio sux right now because I am to bisy with class to shoot anything I like. but I know my ****

thanx for posting guys but I hope there are more pro here......

Moranton said:
165,000 is a lot of money, but the classes are great and the teachers are great. and now I can shoot ANYTHING and be great at it. anyway Sw1tchFX if you are looking for a teacher I have always wanted to teach.... my portfolio sux right now because I am to bisy with class to shoot anything I like. but I know my ****
Oh, I’m sure. Brooks is an amazing photography school, and I REALLY wish I could go there, but I can't because it costs so much. If I ever want to head for getting a masters, I'd really like to get it at brooks.

The teachers here in Seattle have been pretty good so far I think, It’s the other students I have a problem with.

we get kids here at brooks all the time that have never taken anymore than a point and shoot. and they just party all the time and turn in crap for work

Most reactions

New Topics

Back