How much money have you invested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwilliams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was talking to another local photographer the other day and she told me that in the past year, she has invested $28,000 into her photography business (portraits, weddings, events). This is her first year in photography and even after her investments, I personally don't see any quality in her photography and certainly would not hire her.

That being said, I'm also in my first year and have a lot to learn, but I can't imagine investing that much money this early.

So, this spiked my curiosity... How much money have you invested into your photography business? Over what period of time? And did you get a business loan to help with these investments?

There is no necessary correlation that I can see between investment into a photography business and quality of photography.
I could go out now and buy lots of stuff, including advertising and bricks and mortar stuff, that wouldn't make my photography any better.

I would estimate that I've spent about $4,000 on photography stuff in the last 2 years. I am just starting my third year.

Doing some math in my head.... I think I have about $2500 invested. That includes my camera, gear, website and some classes. I'm going into my third year.

ETA: I'm non in business... I take the odd job now and again.

Last edited:
I agree. I really just couldn't understand where $28,000 would even go in just one year.

There is no necessary correlation that I can see between investment into a photography business and quality of photography.
I could go out now and buy lots of stuff, including advertising and bricks and mortar stuff, that wouldn't make my photography any better.

Are you specifying people who are pursuing photography as a business? Does that mean you're pursuing it as a business? If you just started photography, why are you already trying to go into business? Does she seem like she actually made enough to cover almost $30k in business expenditures, or is she a well to do housewife pursuing a hobby? I've encountered that kind before. Met one just the other day at the playground with my girls. Of course if she's well networked she could be making a decent amount of money. Hell, I do this for a hobby and I have well over $30k worth of equipment in my loft. It's easy to sink a lot of money into it if you have it, but that doesn't mean you need to or should. On another board I'm on there used to be a Russian fashion shooter doing phenomenal work using an old Rebel and kit lens with some old, cheap lights. The guys work was incredible.
Work with what you have and don't worry about what she's doing. When you find yourself limited by your equipment, then you'll know what you need to do to be able to achieve your vision. That may not cost too much at all. ;)

Are you specifying people who are pursuing photography as a business? Does that mean you're pursuing it as a business? If you just started photography, why are you already trying to go into business? Does she seem like she actually made enough to cover almost $30k in business expenditures, or is she a well to do housewife pursuing a hobby? I've encountered that kind before. Met one just the other day at the playground with my girls. Of course if she's well networked she could be making a decent amount of money. Hell, I do this for a hobby and I have well over $30k worth of equipment in my loft. It's easy to sink a lot of money into it if you have it, but that doesn't mean you need to or should. On another board I'm on there used to be a Russian fashion shooter doing phenomenal work using an old Rebel and kit lens with some old, cheap lights. The guys work was incredible.
Work with what you have and don't worry about what she's doing. When you find yourself limited by your equipment, then you'll know what you need to do to be able to achieve your vision. That may not cost too much at all. ;)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am not trying to sell myself in business full time. I'll take the jobs that come to me or that I can get when I want some cash. I've not made anywhere near enough to pay for more than one of my lenses, let alone a profit.

What scatterbrained said, even before I got into photography as a freelancer I had invested well over $15k while it was just a hobby.

I have a friend who's invested over 30k but doesn't want to make it a career, nor are his picture worth it either.

There no relation with money and quality of work.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

No idea but I just dropped $3K on a lens. If I added it all up probably well over 20K in gear. I'm afraid to add it up.

Nikon camera gear and port. flash: $9025.00

Canon camera gear and port. flash: $8500.00

Tripods and support: $1850.00

Studio Flash: $3725.00

Studio soft boxes and light modifiers: $5075.00

Misc. studio: $1889.00

Studio Props: $7250.00

Studio Backgrounds: $7950.00

The camera gear is just the digital gear we have retained--It does not count the digital body upgrades we purchased since 2001 along the way--those are FIVE DIGITAL BODIES--before those listed.

That would add another: $9500.00

This does not count ANY of the MEDIUM FORMAT CAMERAS we bought before we went digital--that was THREE SYSTEMS ( Big Money ).

Last edited:
Yikes, I'm under $6k with about 2 years into it after using the camera for more than astrophotography stuff.

non-business
none of it pays

The question that really matters is what's the ROI on your current investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back