How much Post-Processing?

gabrielh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all!

Not sure if this is the right place of this forum to post this, if not, sorry about it...

I am still debating myself for this issue: for a (normal) photoshoot, say, of some friends, how much post-processing do you use and what do you change? I like to add a vignette (or negative vignette—white contour), sometimes I do special effects by inverting the colours or making a very strong B&W contrast. But other than that, I don't know if it is appropriate for a portrait session.

What are your thoughts about this and what do you do?

And for other things like macro or landscapes, how much do you process?

Thanks!
G.

Hello all!

Not sure if this is the right place of this forum to post this, if not, sorry about it...

I am still debating myself for this issue: for a (normal) photoshoot, say, of some friends, how much post-processing do you use and what do you change? I like to add a vignette (or negative vignette—white contour), sometimes I do special effects by inverting the colours or making a very strong B&W contrast. But other than that, I don't know if it is appropriate for a portrait session.

What are your thoughts about this and what do you do?

And for other things like macro or landscapes, how much do you process?

Thanks!
G.

The purpose of postprocessing is to improve the image, particularly in portraits, not to add special effects unless they are really warranted and add to the photo.

To improve the image you need to study a few books, magazines, etc. on what was wrong before postprocessing and how images were improved by postprocessing. Scott Kelby and a few other authors are quite good in that regard.

skieur

This is a horribly generic answer, but I change what I want to change and as much or as little change as necessary to obtain the image I want to see, finally, on screen and in print.

Sometimes this is a lot. Sometimes, it's very little. I have a workflow I use for most photos but many don't fit that mold. The image and your vision of that image and what you want that image to be should be your guide.

Thanks, all, for your answers!
G.

What's PP??? I get it done right, the first time.

Like the above guys say, it depends. If I'm feeling an image and think it has potential I might play around or get serious with it. Unless there is something obviously wrong with it or it just doesn't look right, I leave it.

What's PP??? I get it done right, the first time.

What you mean take the photo and let the camera do the post processing entirely out of you control? Or do you mean take the photo in RAW and then store it on your computer forever flat and unfinished?

Also what fancy darkroom effect that the photographer thinks the image could look really good with can you apply during the time of shooting as you say ''The first time''?

What you mean take the photo and let the camera do the post processing entirely out of you control? Or do you mean take the photo in RAW and then store it on your computer forever flat and unfinished?

Also what fancy darkroom effect that the photographer thinks the image could look really good with can you apply during the time of shooting as you say ''The first time''?

I read you post in the Photographic Discussions forum. SOOOOooooo.......:popcorn:

Most reactions

Back