Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took a milky way image few months ago.

Here is the original.

1MJK_2278.jpg

Most obvious issues: tower is perfectly vertical, but horizon is way out of whack; dew condensation spots all over the lens; glow on the horizon. Next

3MJK_2278_DxO-1.jpg

Cloned out most of the spots, straightened the horizon. I'd like give the sky some 'pop', so I went ahead and pressed on- too much?

MJK_2278_DxO on dec19.jpg

Is that too much? Have looked at it so long that I've lost perspective.

The second looks pretty good to , and the third shot looks okay as well. I think I actually prefer the second shot though, since the light pollution near the Horizon looks more quote real unquote to me than the way the third shot looks.

Yeah, looks like you've got some artifacts on the turbine too so I'd clone them out or something otherwise it looks like you've overlayed the stars on the shot.

I agree with Derrel, 2nd shot looks good but the 3rd is a bit too much. i do wonder if a graduated filter would work to blend the two together.

Great shot. Why not take the lines etc off the horizon and clean up the base of the mill? Gonall the way so to speak. I also like the yellowish gradient in the hirizon in #2 but I also like the extra pop in the milky way in 3.

Yeah, looks like you've got some artifacts on the turbine too so I'd clone them out or something otherwise it looks like you've overlayed the stars on the shot.

I agree with Derrel, 2nd shot looks good but the 3rd is a bit too much. i do wonder if a graduated filter would work to blend the two together.
Yeah- I used a pretty high intensity flash at the beginning of this 25 second exposure to try to capture the blades, but the balance of the exposure time gave the stars behind plenty of opportunity to shine thru. Good idea.

The second looks pretty good to , and the third shot looks okay as well. I think I actually prefer the second shot though, since the light pollution near the Horizon looks more quote real unquote to me than the way the third shot looks.
Thank Derrel! I agree that #3 is probably overcooked. Wondering if there's a happy medium between the two. Maybe a ver. 2.5...

Great shot. Why not take the lines etc off the horizon and clean up the base of the mill? Gonall the way so to speak. I also like the yellowish gradient in the hirizon in #2 but I also like the extra pop in the milky way in 3.
Thanks! Yeah, could/should probably clone out the lines on the horizon. Good thought- I'll do that!

Most reactions

Back