How often are you contacted?

thanks for your comments. i have never ever heard anyone make a reference to the SARS thing. you are the only one but i did change it because if you thought that, maybe someone else could as well. as far as the choppy text....i'm not sure. maybe if i make it better....who knows. i will look into it later on.

steve

If you are afraid to raise your rates, raise them but have something like "10% off if you book now" so you still keep the same prices but it appears people are saving money (always a plus)

As for bands, if you want to do local bands, go to some local shows and offer to work for free (they pay for prints, but your time doesnt cost them anything). Small bands usually dont have a lot of money to spend, so a free photoshoot (perhaps to be used in the booklet of their upcoming album) fits the budget perfectly. As payment you have them mention you whenever they use the pictures, so if it is for an album make sure your logo is displayed somewhere on the album. Not only that, but if they like what you do, they will spread the word and all local bands know other local bands, its just part of the life.

Good luck and dont give up.

thanks for the advice. i have thought of those things and i think i will be doing just that. yeah, bands have no money and they usually want everything for nothing. what little money they have they invest in their amps and guitars. i know, i'm a guitarist...but...i realize that to get a great demo or CD or artwork, you need to pay for it. most bands don't realize that quality comes with a price. i will not give up on photography but i have been so beaten down and losing so much money over it....that i'm just getting so done with it. i will never stop but if after 2007 it continues like this.....one gig every 3 months, i will stop advertising and forget about it. i will just do it if something comes up and i will get back into music bigtime. i don't know why it is so hard to do this stuff. it makes me enraged when i see studios that are no good charging so much money and they are always busy.

I hear what you mean. I think instead of advertising so much and putting money into that, you may just need to get out there and show people what can be done. A couple cheap jobs to start spreading the word about you and you should start getting some gigs. Nothing sells better than someone elses good experience.

I run a small online web/graphic design business and that website style is way way way out of date. If you rely on your clients to be finding you through your website then thats a bad idea. Have you ever bought somethign online but question if it is safe to do because the website looks kinda old and not kept well. Your webiste is like that it scares me away from wanting to pay you because I get the impression you dont care too much and that the photos you might take are old school somehow. This isnt me judging you but it is how potential clients will. I hate it too but you have to put money into it to gain any back. You also need a strong base so getting that website fixed and having some business cards printed with the website address on them will help a lot.

I run a small online web/graphic design business and that website style is way way way out of date. If you rely on your clients to be finding you through your website then thats a bad idea. Have you ever bought somethign online but question if it is safe to do because the website looks kinda old and not kept well. Your webiste is like that it scares me away from wanting to pay you because I get the impression you dont care too much and that the photos you might take are old school somehow. This isnt me judging you but it is how potential clients will. I hate it too but you have to put money into it to gain any back. You also need a strong base so getting that website fixed and having some business cards printed with the website address on them will help a lot.

so maybe you could hook him up with something? :wink:

Also target record labels and bridal magazines. Art Directors and Editors always need photographers. Wether they know it or not is a different story. Big cities have tons of AD's. The important thing is to make sure they have your info and maybe check out your work.

Keep in mind that assisting is an excellent way to get into photography circles as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back