How often do pros use lighting outdoors?

This is an interesting thread. I find myself trying to put my biases aside and consider all the discussion. I love doing portraits when you wait for the perfect natural light. I also love doing portraits when the natural light is terrible and you control the whole situation with ND filters and Bring Your Own lighting- which is often the case since I usually depend upon the subject's schedule anyway. There are photographers out there who can find a creative lighting solution from natural light in almost any situation- I guess I'm not yet one of them. Sometimes I get lucky though.

I bring and use some form of lighting on every single portrait shoot .. even if it's just a speedlight you can always benefit from it.

I use lighting in 90% of my portraits, i always carry my strobes, speed lights and reflectors.
I shoot with ambient light when the light is good. I shoot with whatever i think will look good at the moment.

I shoot outdoors with monolights, strobes and reflectors. Derrel nailed it on the cheap lithium battery from Paul Buff to drive the studio lights.

Here is sine wave lithium battery and lights at work outdoors on Amber's bike:

SRW_3357.jpg

I try to avoid using lighting outdoors if I can, expose for the shadows, let the film compress the highlights :)

for the stereotype outdoor model/wedding shoots, ... I use reflectors, almost every time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back