How on earth??

Tara

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey up! I'm planning a project for a university show next year and I really need to get my technical skills up to scratch...and better. I have a look for the images in my head and I have no idea how to do it. I have found an image by David LaChapelle which is almost spot on....can anyone help me? (Remember it's not the content but the look of the image ie colours,tone etc which I'm after) :D Take a look http://www.pdnonline.com/legends/archive/lachappelle/lachap2.html

All suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers

Tara xxxx

The only thing tricky I see is the make up job. Other than, it looks really bright.

Thanks :D ...Isn't there more to it than that though?? Those colours are pretty striking. Are there not any specific lighting and/or processing techniques playing a big part in this one??

Feel free to leave as many suggestions as you wish...I really want to learn! :afro:

Tara xxxx

im gonna take a stab at it :eek:

looks light he has a "hair light" ... hair lit from the backside ... possibly saturated the colors to make them more vivid, perhaps a graduated colored backdrop (or the top half could be touched up) .. no direct flash in her face, could be continuous light .. maybe 2 slave flashes on the ends (flash with the umbrella) not too close ... dramatic make-up and a good camera :D ... that would be my guess

Thanks Dew! :thumbsup: I'll have a play with that.
All other thoughts still and always welcome :D

she looks a little bright, but i dont think she's over-exposed, u can still see some details and a tad of contrast ... if im not mistaking, that looks like Shirley Manson (Garbage band lead singer) ... she's very pale ... and i think he did right to keep her color to the truest and not change it to be more appeasing to the eye in the "photographic" sense :D

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated! I'll have a try and let you know how it goes. I'm sure i'll be back on here soon asking more silly questions.
Cheers

PS No you're not mistaken, it is Shirley Manson of Garbage in the pic. :wink:

Have to agree with you Dew. There is definitely a "halo" effect on the hair caused by back lighting. Apart from that....Yeah just a good flash, buckets of makeup and tweaking of levels etc.

maybe he had her lying down on a bit of glass/perspex with a lamp underneath and then he just combed the hair out onto the glass? the way the chain around her neck has fallen would suggest she is lying down rather than standing up...
and as far as colour... i dunno maybe a tweak in pshop or some kind of filter (but i don't know much about filters at all so maybe just ignore me..)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back