hOW THE heck??

Thru_These_Eyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is a picture on this website, I have to post the link because it wouldn't save to my computer. (Understandably so) But I would like to know how the look of this picture was accomplished.

Its the photo of the bike. It looks like it is lit by a spot light and its all dark around it. I want to learn how to do this!

Man-made - Digital Camera Photographer of the Year competition 2009

There is a picture on this website, I have to post the link because it wouldn't save to my computer. (Understandably so) But I would like to know how the look of this picture was accomplished.

Its the photo of the bike. It looks like it is lit by a spot light and its all dark around it. I want to learn how to do this!

Man-made - Digital Camera Photographer of the Year competition 2009
A bicycle-shaped flood light? Seriously, light intensity falls off as the square of the distance. The background is far enough away that insufficient light reached it. You'll notice that the closer background (the telephone pole) is somewhat well illuminated.

Its probably just that, a spotlight. Or someone directing the light with some sort of snoot or other cone shaped light directional tool that they put over their strobe / flash. Just as you can diffuse light, you can also direct and intentify it.

Thank you bigtwinky =) Your response was a lot easier to comprehend than the other...Mucho Gracias!

Well I'm sure you probably figured out it was taken in the night. First of all the is a sort of spotlight illuminating the bike. I could be a simple lamp with some sort of cone shape which in this case intensifies the bike. It seems to me that in the background where it's all black, there is either nothing or something very far. In shorter terms, no objects are close enough to be illuminated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back