How to achieve this effect?

Magoo1222

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I was just browsing the web today when I came across an album of photos by Anthony Sundell which all seam to have a dreamy, hazy effect to them, without being blurry and out of focus. I was curious if anyone could help me figure out just how this was done? Is it done in camera or in post? Here is the link to what I'm referring to. Thanks in advance!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.243136972492901.1073741826.243111149162150&type=3

Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. Links are fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drop the contrast, and impose a slight brown cast.

BTW, it's against forum rules to post photos that aren't yours.

I apologize, newbie mistake! Thanks for your quick response sparky.

Perfect! I was just looking for this very technique as well, and luckily found it at first glance on the first page of this forum as a newbie here ;). Thank you!

I was going to ask the same thing about this photo on my background: https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1017491_10200429384151300_688723750_n.jpg

I was wondering if it had some kind of name to it, since it gives it a bit of antique-ness, yet brings some warmth to it like it's a warm summer night out. The only other resource I can find this is through instagram :(. I see it in video every now and then, too. It's just hard to search for, i guess. But, it's also everywhere.

Perfect! I was just looking for this very technique as well, and luckily found it at first glance on the first page of this forum as a newbie here ;). Thank you!

I was going to ask the same thing about this photo on my background: https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1017491_10200429384151300_688723750_n.jpg

I was wondering if it had some kind of name to it, since it gives it a bit of antique-ness, yet brings some warmth to it like it's a warm summer night out. The only other resource I can find this is through instagram :(. I see it in video every now and then, too. It's just hard to search for, i guess. But, it's also everywhere.

I call it the "60's Retro Redo Cuz I've Been There Done That" look.

You guys are in luck: My graphic designer friend just referred me to this

VSCO Film | Visual Supply Co

That should be exactly what you're looking for magoo :).

Yep sparkys got the right idea! Also to achieve a bokeh effect such as the one in handonams background image you would want to use a larger aperture. Be sure to use a low fstop as this will give you a shallow dof. Make sure that you position the subject of the photo as close to the lens as you can (what's going to be clear and focused --- in handonams photo it is the bench). The lights that will make the bokeh effect should be as far as possible from the lens.

The "matte" effect as it's popularly referred to, can be created in a number of ways - all depends on the exact look you'd like.

I use PS, so this may not be the same or possible for you - but after applying the adjustment layers to the image, apply a mask and use a soft black brush to mask out the face/important details.

First technique- exposure. Adjust the "offset" slider a bit to the left for instant haziness.
Second technique- using curves, bring lower end up slightly, bring a point just above the "middle" down. Add a levels layer, adjust output levels to ~20 and ~240.

I use a combination of those two quite often.

Looks like a preset form LR, but yes, it's a retro style photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back