How to activate digital zoom on my sony nex5 with 18-55mm lens?! Please help a rookie

Gogo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello.

As written in the title...I just bought a sony nex and a 18-55mm lens, but I am still struggling to activate the digital zoom....?!?!
It sais "this fuction is currently deactivated". Where the **** should I activate it?
I need the digital zoom because I'm going to use my camera underwater and so can't use the optical zoom....

Please help me...

Greetings,
Gogo

Hello.

As written in the title...I just bought a sony nex and a 18-55mm lens, but I am still struggling to activate the digital zoom....?!?!
It sais "this fuction is currently deactivated". Where the **** should I activate it?
I need the digital zoom because I'm going to use my camera underwater and so can't use the optical zoom....

Please help me...

Greetings,
Gogo

You can activate it if you really want, but digital zoom is basically just the camera cropping the image, so you can do it yourself in post with much more control over it.

All fine...but my problem remains the same...
It is not possible to activate it via the "google solution" one of you suggested....I read somewhere that it is in general impossible with the lens I am using (SEL 18-55mm)...So I was wondering if some of you knows more than uncle google...if there is may be some kind of crack or firmware or something...Also keep in mind I will use it underwater (in a waterproof housing)...

Greetings, Gogo

It is not possible to activate it via the "google solution" one of you suggested....I read somewhere that it is in general impossible with the lens I am using (SEL 18-55mm)...So I was wondering if some of you knows more than uncle google...if there is may be some kind of crack or firmware or something...Also keep in mind I will use it underwater (in a waterproof housing)...

Greetings, Gogo

If people suggest and the general consensus is that it is impossible for your certain lens, then it is more than likely impossible. Could be a hardware restriction and not software that you can "crack." Though cracks exist for camera OS's, its not a very popular thing to get into, so I guess I would just keep searching and see what you come up with.

Hello.

Please help me...

Greetings,
Gogo

You can activate it if you really want, but digital zoom is basically just the camera cropping the image, so you can do it yourself in post with much more control over it.

Its not a crop.

Greetings, Gogo

The explanation was at the top. You have to use a FIXED FOCAL LENGTH LENS. You are using a variable focal length lens. Thus the camera will not do this with the type of lens that you are using. You need a fixed focal length prime lens. Hints why I posted links to fixed focal length prime lenses above.

What??? Its not an SLR, its a mirror-less camera system: Sony NEX-3 / NEX-5 Review: Digital Photography Review

Just because it has interchangeable lenses does NOT make it an SLR.

Obviously.

I was trying to figure out KmH's random statement as far as I can tell no one referred to the Nex as an DSLR.

ooo haha maybe the mention of SLR in post 3? I don't know... im sure some ppl think those things are SLRs though...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back