How to ask for a big chain store's old film stock?

xypex982

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not referring to actual camera shops but more like Walmart or Target big chain stores. I ask because my .99c store stopped selling 200 ISO Memories and that stuff was great for my experimental stuff. Every time I check the film stock at Walmart its fresh, but I don't think people are really buying film, so are they throwing out the old stuff?

I know fred0000 has, to quote a post of his

"ps: another good note, my local wal-mart has a promo or overstock (I dont care what they call it) but they've been giving film away for a while now, i've gotten 35 rolls from them so far, so I have like 45 rolls of film on my shelf waiting to be shot"

So im asking have any of you guys scored free or really cheap film from big chain stores like Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, ect?
If so who did you ask in the store, and how/what did you ask?

My guess is that this sort of thing is done on a store by store basis, so you should just have to talk to either the Photo Lab manager or the store manager.

fred0000 needs to get his film off the shelf and in the refrigerator.
Yes, film will last longer when stored in the fridge or freezer...but I think that is a lot more important for professional film, which is sold fresh and you want to keep it consistent. Consumer film is expected to sit on the shelves for a longer time, where it becomes more stable (although maybe not as consistent...but that's why it's consumer film, not pro film).

I worked in retail for a number of years and they don't give anything away -even to employees! They write it off - then destroy the items in the compactor. If someone got free film or anything else for that matter, from a place like WalMart, Kmart, Target etc. because it was out dated or had not sold - then someone got it in a slightly underhanded manner. I saw several employees in the past -including a store manager, get fired, because they took or allowed an employee to take items that had not sold in the store and were to be destroyed. In the case of the manager, the store went so far as to prosecute him. So I would be careful if i were you if you find anyone willing to let you have "free" out dated film from any retail establishment.

Every time I check the film stock at Walmart its fresh, but I don't think people are really buying film, so are they throwing out the old stuff?

I think you're wrong there. People are still buying film, just not as much. All the Wal-Marts, Targets, etc. near me are stocking less film and fewer selections. They're stocking at a level they can sell. If they've got fresh film on their shelves it's because it's selling. These people are not in business to give stuff away.

Dagwood thanks for the input man, at least I have an idea how it works from the inside.

So in your opinions asking the lab manger if he/she has expired film for less than retail, or to contact me when they remove out of date film from shelves may not have great success because they write it off and dispose of it?

Although after hearing you guys it doesn't sound like I may have much luck, I guess its worth a shot just to ask whenever I happen to be in the stores anyways. Thanks for your replies guys.

Every time I check the film stock at Walmart its fresh, but I don't think people are really buying film, so are they throwing out the old stuff?

I think you're wrong there. People are still buying film, just not as much. All the Wal-Marts, Targets, etc. near me are stocking less film and fewer selections. They're stocking at a level they can sell. If they've got fresh film on their shelves it's because it's selling. These people are not in business to give stuff away.

yea! and every time i go to develop my film at CVS, theres always like 30-50 pacs sitting to be picked up. and on the the whole free film thin.. i asked around a buncha places and they all say that they return there film to the company to get some money back

Dagwood thanks for the input man, at least I have an idea how it works from the inside.

So in your opinions asking the lab manger if he/she has expired film for less than retail, or to contact me when they remove out of date film from shelves may not have great success because they write it off and dispose of it?

Although after hearing you guys it doesn't sound like I may have much luck, I guess its worth a shot just to ask whenever I happen to be in the stores anyways. Thanks for your replies guys.

What you could do, is ask to speak to a store manager, department managers don't have the authority to help you in this case, all department managers do is "manage their specific dept and staff" They have to clear everything they do with the store manager. So ask the store manager if he could\would mark down any outdated film for you; they might take off 50%, but i doubt they would go lower than that.

If they did agree they would probably tell you its up to you to ask for it each time you're interested. I doubt very much they would collect and hold it for you as it became available.

Also -good luck if you try at a WalMart in finding a "store manager" they hide them! Most times at Wal Mart the best a person gets is an inept department manager. ;)

I worked in retail for a number of years and they don't give anything away -even to employees! They write it off - then destroy the items in the compactor. If someone got free film or anything else for that matter, from a place like WalMart, Kmart, Target etc. because it was out dated or had not sold - then someone got it in a slightly underhanded manner. I saw several employees in the past -including a store manager, get fired, because they took or allowed an employee to take items that had not sold in the store and were to be destroyed. In the case of the manager, the store went so far as to prosecute him. So I would be careful if i were you if you find anyone willing to let you have "free" out dated film from any retail establishment.

See, I've always thought that was bull****. The company has written off the product and said product is to be thrown out/destroyed/etc., so what should it matter if someone got those items? I mean, how is there any difference between a store having to throw out an item and an employee taking it home or giving it away, or the employee throwing the item out and someone comes along and digs it out of the dumpster?

See, I've always thought that was bull****. The company has written off the product and said product is to be thrown out/destroyed/etc., so what should it matter if someone got those items? I mean, how is there any difference between a store having to throw out an item and an employee taking it home or giving it away, or the employee throwing the item out and someone comes along and digs it out of the dumpster?

It doesn't make any sense to me either, but that's how they do it. Picking it out of the dumpster however can't be done. Stores compact everything, so once its gone - its gone.;) Somehow the stores see giving items that have not sold, to employees or anyone else, a type of theft. That store manager I mentioned, got caught taking home a shower stall; it was written off and said to have been destroyed. His timing was bad when he removed it from the store and a regional manager caught him red handed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back