How to bend them regulations - with an unusual "drone"

Discussion in 'Aerial Photography' started by KAP Jasa, May 14, 2018.

1. Cody'sCaptures

Cody'sCaptures No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Not gonna lie the thought of strapping my camera to a kite terrifies me, as does spending$1000 on a flying camera. Cool idea and nice photos

• Like Like x 1
  2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    FAA regulations pertaining to MOORED BALLOONS, KITES, AMATEUR ROCKETS, UNMANNED FREE BALLOONS, AND CERTAIN MODEL AIRCRAFT:
    eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

§101.13 Operating limitations.
    (a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate a moored balloon or kite—

(1) Less than 500 feet from the base of any cloud;

(2) More than 500 feet above the surface of the earth;

(3) From an area where the ground visibility is less than three miles; or

(4) Within five miles of the boundary of any airport.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to the operation of a balloon or kite below the top of any structure and within 250 feet of it, if that shielded operation does not obscure any lighting on the structure.

• Like Like x 2
  3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Ehhh.... Howzzat???????????????????????????

4. Jeff G

Jeff G -Amateur Shutterbug- Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It's basically saying it must remain visible even in low cloud cover. The FAA is all about line of sight. When they first started regulating drones their wording was all over the place and contradicted itself frequently. You could look in three different sections on there website and come up with three different interpretations. I sometimes think they do this on purpose but then I remember its run by bureaucrats.

• Like Like x 1
  5. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nothing like encouraging people to risk breaking the law! lol It wouldn't be funny though if one would crash onto a house below (or would hit somebody). I suppose you could be out in the middle of nowhere but still I'd think a kite would be harder to control especially with a camera attached to it.

The drones are considered Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and different from those radio controlled (RC) toys that people would use in their backyards, etc. Of course it's fine for kids and adults to fly RC toy planes and kites, if it comes down it wouldn't likely cause any damage, and how far/high can it possibly go? When drones were first being sold & bought they were seen flying as high as planes (seen by pilots) and something small could potentially cause a plane to crash. That's why the FAA developed laws, because too many people were using them in irresponsible ways.

6. KAP Jasa

KAP Jasa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :) ... yeah, it's not for the faint of heart - at least the first couple of flights (and every time the wind stops for a moment).

7. pixmedic

pixmedic The Mustached Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    some great shots there!
    cleverly done. might be a good workaround to areas with strictly enforced drone laws. everyone assumes the drones have a camera on them, but how many people think that when they see a kite? i would never have given any thought to it until now.

its interesting how noone bats an eye at shots in abandoned buildings on private property, or on railroad tracks...but start talking about drone photography (and obviously kites) and out come the rules and statutes.

• Like Like x 2
  8. petrochemist

petrochemist No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    In the UK, I believe regulation regarding kites & tethered balloons near building are similar to those regarding drones.

I certainly wouldn't want to put my newest camera/lens under a kite, but there are plenty of cheap compacts that could work well, at least if a suitable triggering option is arranged.

Given my success in flying kites with the kids a balloon appeals more to me.
    I've even got as far a grabbing a hydrogen generator that was being ditched at work, the chances are it will no longer work by the time I get round to trying a balloon out...

9. vin88

vin88 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hydrogen? "remember the Hindenberg" vin

10. petrochemist

petrochemist No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I work with hydrogen every day so I'm quite familiar with it's flammability (explosive range in air is 4 to 74%). It also burns with an invisible flame so the flames on the Hindenburg where not just hydrogen.
    In addition I doubt there would be a large build up of static charge in a tethered balloon used for relatively short periods. Even if it did catch fire the results wouldn't be too dramatic, just the equivalent of crashing a kite...

11. vin88

vin88 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

thanks, an air born camera is a good idea.

• Like Like x 1