How To Create Slides?

Victor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm new to the forums as well as photography. I was looking for a place like this. It looks contain a vast amount of knowledgable and helpful people.

Anyway, I wanted to know how slides are created? Are they made from my negatives? Is it somehting I can do myself or do I have to send them off? I thought they might be easier to handle and store than a negative would.

Thanks for any help. I'll get some pictures up here soon. Looks to be a great place! :D

Slide film is different than print film. Print film, or negative film is the kind most people use where you end up with (usually) prints and negatives.

If you buy slide film, or reversal film, you end up with a box of slides.

Traditionally, many pros have used slide film due to the increased color saturation. It is more difficult to use, however, because it is less forgiving of bad exposure than print film. If you underexpose or overexpose print film, your final prints will probably be fine (unless the over/under is fairly big). With slide film, the same over/under will probably result in blank frames.

AH! Thank you very much for explaining that. I was thumbing through a magazine and notice slide film in it. Wasn't really sure what that was all about.

Thanks!

From what I know and can say....(I don't remember any science behind it, like if it's the chemicals that make it positive etc. I've made a direct positive from BW negative film, so I know that's possible).....instead of a negative image with the colours and everything reversed, it's positive.

As said above, the colour is great. From what I was told, prints don't look as good as the slide image does on a projector or looking at it on a light.

The 35mm slides are mounted in those plastic things....in school we had a machine process our negatives, and a machine that put the mounts on for us, although you could mount it by hand.

umm...so you can defiantly print them.

Was there anything specific you wanted to know? It's hard to regurgitate what I know off the bat.

photong said:
From what I was told, prints don't look as good as the slide image does on a projector or looking at it on a light.

I don't think I'd agree with that statement. Most of the photos you see in National Geographic, for example, are printed from slides.

photong said:
Was there anything specific you wanted to know? It's hard to regurgitate what I know off the bat.

No, you guys pretty much answered what I wanted to know and more. :) I was just looking for an easier way to handle and store my negatives rather than have them in the strips of 4. But I can live with it I suppose.

Is there an easier way to few them however? It's hard to see what's going on holding them up to the light.

Thanks again guys!

Several companies make boxes to hold negatives, and some of them even have envelopes with space to write descriptions of the negs.

You can also get clear plastic pages that are prepunched to go into 3-ring binders.

drlynn said:
photong said:
From what I was told, prints don't look as good as the slide image does on a projector or looking at it on a light.

I don't think I'd agree with that statement. Most of the photos you see in National Geographic, for example, are printed from slides.

Are they really printed? Because I don't know these things. I would assume they were scanned somehow and some may even be digital.

But what do I know, I could care less about slides. I am just going by what I was told.

Most reactions

Back