how to create this light without a real window

Phtoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Bump....as a beginner myself I'm interested in this

-Please ignore typos I'm currently on my phone-

Yes, it can be recreated with artificial light but not easily.
You need a pinpoint light source (so the edges are crisp) and some distance between source and gobo. It does not need to be a large gobo.
My guess for best would be south facing sun with window.
Play with it and let us know what works best for you.

The low tec cheap way, I would do it by tungston, card and greese paper to diffuse the light coming from the lighting head. Play around with the distance of the card, hight of light head to create the right effect.

The more expensive way, two flash heads. One set to very low power with softbox, the other (the sun) expose the head and again use card to creat the shadows..

Good luck

Try using a slide projector with lith film pattern

Strip box to control the feathering of your light. If you need the mullions in it they can be made with gaffer's tape or similar.

as a beginner myself I'm also interested in this ,thank you guys for your advice.
g.gif

How you do it depends a lot on how authentic you want it to be (or who you want to fool).

The images you link to show a lot of the signs that suggest authentic sunlight (small bright source a long way away):
-sharp shadows close to the source of the shadow, getting slightly less distinct further away;
-shadows created by parallel, not diverging, light rays; and
-shadows from a real window, partly open (who would make a gobo like that?).

It's a challenge to reproduce those qualities well on a budget. A large, diffuse source (eg a softbox) with a window-shaped mask on it will not produce anything like distinct shadows - you would need to use it in conjunction with a narrow-angle eggcrate. The further the mask/gobo is from the eggcrated softbox, the better. Ideally you would like an undiffused, large-as-possible parabolic reflector as far away as possible - maybe a reflective rather than shoot through umbrella as big as you can afford, with the source correctly positioned. Big fresnel spots work - you could make one yourself from a large plastic fresnel lens.

A small source used with a gobo can give hard shadows, but it doesn't give parallel light. Again, the further away the source is, the better.

Is there any chance that you can rig up an external hard reflector panel so you can get sunlight through your window? That would depend on the weather, and it may not be practicable in your location, but it is a method I have used to get authentic sun shadows.

Good luck,
Helen

This is a good question and the responses thus far will have you off to a good start...

You can create this look by experimenting with gobos and the distances between your lights, gobos and subject... there's no real need to guide you through that process because the fun of it is to experiment yourself and learn along the way...

The key that may be less obvious is to tightly control (eliminate) the light spill that is coming from your source(s).... get that sorted out and working / reworking the gobos becomes much easier...

Most reactions

Back