How to cut a ribbon at an event...

IzzieK

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of the best adrenalin packed highlight of my trip is the cutting of the ribbon done by this guy....

1. Preparing to cut the ribbon...
$1 Preparing to cut the ribbon.jpg

2. Oooppppsss!!!! Missed it or pretending to missed it...

$2 Pretend to miss at 1 feet from the ribbon.jpg

3. Didn't get it yet....
$3 No ribbon cut yet..jpg

4. top ribbon success...

$4 Top ribbon cute.jpg

5. second ribbon....

$2nd ribbon cutting.jpg

Hope you all enjoy these ones from Skip Stewart, one of the daredevils of aerobatic flying...I have used Shutter Priority on a 200mm lens Nikon. OK to comment and critique on it. Took me two years to get these kind of shots where an ex-aerobatic pilot was barking commands behind me on when to press my shutter. The rest of the audience around us started taking notice and waited for his commands too.

Last edited:
Ummm, holy cow! haha. He's like 50ft off the ground!!!!

That last one is kinda scary .. sideways and all so low to the ground with people standing there.

Ummm, holy cow! haha. He's like 50ft off the ground!!!!
You should have seen him when he was doing his stunt at 8 ft off the ground...I got one of that too...somewhere ... buried amongst the 800+ shots I shot...Thanks for commenting. I appreciate it very much.

The only critique I can give you is you didn't pan, or didn't pan fast enough when he went through the ribbon. The people and poles are sharp, but the plane is blurry. So I'm guessing you were prefocused on the ribbons and bam bam bam when he went through?

I did pan...but I chose only those that matters to upload or else the post will be heavy with pictures. Also I like the blur of the plane because it signified movement and the plane do not seem to hang from the air...Look at #5 again...the blur of that is most beautiful...at least that is what I think (and others who had seen it...)

I agree with 5, I think 4 is a little too much? I was just curious :)

That last one is kinda scary .. sideways and all so low to the ground with people standing there.
Oh they are OK there...They are used to it. Skip's was the second ribbon cutting on the show. I did not get the first one of Peggy Wagstaff...she does stunts but not as bold as Skip...

Thanks for looking and commenting.. 'Appreciate it very much...

I wonder what he pays in insurance premiums ?? Man that is just far too close to the ground, spooky. So the shots work in that case, well done Iz. A fair bit of impact when you look at these.

All the best Iz and well done, still spooky though ;)

Danny.

I wonder what he pays in insurance premiums ?? Man that is just far too close to the ground, spooky. So the shots work in that case, well done Iz. A fair bit of impact when you look at these.

All the best Iz and well done, still spooky though ;)

Danny.
Thanks Danny...When I saw how daring he was doing these, I already have a plan on my mind that if there will be an accident, I will just continue shooting seeing that I was right up front and in center position where they actually execute their acts. It was fun though -- the adrenalin is just so exciting we opted to go back the next day so we can see him do it again. I love aerobatic flying after my husband retired from it. I used to go shopping when he was too involved with it years ago. It was my defense mechanism.:lol:

Thank you for commenting, Danny...'appreciate it very much.

Most reactions

Back