How to fix the sky in this image?

Primoz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello!

Does anybody have an idea how could I repair the inconsistency of the blue color in the sky caused by the polarising filter?

I really like this shot, but the exposure graduation in the sky bothers me... Thank you!

BTW: You can ignore the "my photos are NOT ok to edit" policy in this thread ;) If you have an idea how to fix it, you can give it a go...

$20120730_160348.JPG

Sorry, I am a beginner when it comes to post processing. I brighten up things, but I think that left the whole picture a little too bright, I dont know. I normally wouldnt post it because I am not happy with it, but I spent 10 minutes on it, so you gotta see it anyway...lol.

$Lighthouse2.jpg

Dont worry, I am sure someone else will do a better edit for you.

Last edited:
Thats weird, when I edited it on my computer, I didnt see any gradiant, but when I posted it in the thread, I see it starting to creep in still in the top right. Sorry.

not very familiar with pp. I have seen somethings with using the gradient tool, but not versed enough to offer any real help in that section. However, it might be good to crop out the bottom third of the image. The road/path you are on seems distracting to the photo imo.

Jeff

Parker.. did you sharpen it also... it looks way oversharpened now also.

Two slightly different takes on this. All I did was pick a color and brushed it at about 20% opacity 100% fill until I got what I wanted.

$1.jpg

I cropped it to get rid of the ugly foreground, and did some cloning. Tried to do a little gradient on the sky working down darker to lighter...

$2.jpg

That technique with painting the color looks quite effective to me... Thanks for advice - I'll give it a go =)

I unsharpened it now. I could be wrong, but I like the sky a little different colors, if it is all one it looks staged or fake. The sky is supposed to be natural looking.

I unsharpened it now. I could be wrong, but I like the sky a little different colors, if it is all one it looks staged or fake. The sky is supposed to be natural looking.

Actually the gradient on the sky from right to left is not natural looking - this effect is caused when you use a polarising filter on a wideangle lens, so you get in view a part of the sky that has been more darkened by the polarisation and another part of the sky that remained unaffected (bright)... You end up with a weird-looking sky - but the effect is not that obvious in this particular shot - it could be worse...

I meant in general I like the sky being different colors, yes the gradient in the original shot should be addressed pretty much just how cgipson1 has done it. I really like that pic though, I wish I could shoot there!

I meant in general I like the sky being different colors, yes the gradient in the original shot should be addressed pretty much just how cgipson1 has done it. I really like that pic though, I wish I could shoot there!

Parker... when brushing in at low opacity... you can layer the color / hue. Every time you lay a new layer of color, it gets darker... and you do this by just releasing / pressing your mouse button. So you can do a top to bottom gradient easily... say 4 or 5 layers at top 3 layers in the middle, 1 or 2 layers toward the horizon. And if you are using a soft edged brush, it blends very well. You can also blur it a bit if needed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back