Hello from the San Francisco Bay Area!

TransPharaoh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
TL;DR I'm a beginner photographer despite 3 years of recent film experience, my favorite cameras are the Z6II and FM2, and I'm learning the RB67 and waiting to receive a Bessa R.

I'm in a little bit of a weird spot with my photograpy journey, and I'm trying to figure out where to go from here.

My digital journey saw me rapidly go from a cheap DSLR kit to a D850 to a Z6 and then a Z6II because I like tech, and while I really like the Z6 platform, it is a little of a double edged sword. I got lucky and was able to travel a lot, and the Z6 platform has proven an extremely good travel camera, but the flip side is, I haven't really been practicing composition or exposure at all, I've been taking travel snapshots. I do use manual exposure a lot because EVF really makes manual exposure enjoyable and easy, I love how you can change the EVF color balance and even go monochrome, I love IBIS when I'm shooting on the move or from a vehicle, I shoot in low light an absolute ton and the camera handles that amazingly, and just overall the Z6 platform has exceeded my needs, but I'm still taking tourist pictures. Only reason I got rid of the Z6 is I wanted to trade it in for the incremental improvements of the Z6II. I'm happy with this camera, but I feel way underskilled with it, and I want to better take advantage of its capabilities.

However, I feel like I prefer the experience of shooting film over digital, and I spend more time and money on film than digital. I ended up as a film camera collector pretty quickly after trying photography. Given my strong collectors impulse and my love of vintage technology, this probably isn't surprising. I like collecting tech, so on the one hand this isn't a problem that I have tons of cameras that I don't need, but on the other hand, I feel like my access to gear far outstrips my skill with said gear. I have a mountain of film cameras and I love shooting film cameras, but I'm not actually a good photographer. I understand film cameras on a technical basis, and I can take a usable photograph with one, but my composition is poor and my exposures basic and functional. I have some legendary kit in my collection, and I'm happy just having collected it to put on a shelf, but still I want to be a good enough photographer to use it and do it justice. Out of all my cameras, I'd say my favorite camera to use (not necessarily to have collected) is the Nikon FM2. Ergonomically it just fits me, shooting it is an absolutely wonderful tactile experience. It's got great lenses available for it, it's durable and reliable as all get out, it has a very fast shutter, and since they're commonly available, they can be repaired. I also just got an RB67 and am in the process of figuring out the ins and outs of this thing. No, it's not my first medium format film camera, I've spent a chunk of time shooting TLRs, but I definitely feel this was a huge jump in complexity. Also I really want to use 35mm rangefinders more, but ergonomically none of the ones I own are as smooth and comfortable as my FM2s, so I just ordered a Voigtlander Bessa R, I have high hopes I'll enjoy that like I do the FM2.

So where does this leave me? I'm not really a beginner photographer, but also I'm totally a beginner photographer. I have 3 years of recent film photography experience, but in that all my time has been spent shooting on a bunch of different platforms, and I haven't really developed any artistic skill, my skill is purely technological in that I know how a camera works and how to expose a visible image. It's the same with digital. I know what the controls on my Z6II do and how do use them, but that technical understanding of the tool can't compensate for my lack of basic artistic knowledge.

Now, how do I fix that?

Last edited:
G'day TP

As a recent arrival here--may I say 'Welcome aboard' and will await seeing some of your images

Your extensive notes above show me that you have enjoyed your digital experiences and (like me and others) have possibly fallen into the digital trap that "I'm not restricted to 36 frames so I will shoot away and have fun" ... so that upon reflection later at home, the images seem a bit flat and unexciting

Film-wise, enjoy the RB and the Bessa when they are at your fingertips, and get into the darkroom and do your D&P as it's a beaut experience. Like you, I have 40-or so yrs of film and D&P experience behind me too

Digital-wise, cameras can come and go, and I have enjoyed the EVF now for 18 yrs or so .... it's a wonderful bit of technology. The image-exposure difference for me, is to take that 1/4 ~ 1/2-minute extra before every shot to study the EVF image and mentally analyse the composition and exposure before going 'click'. For me, it does make a difference to the end result, so maybe it could be useful to you too

Hope this helps
Phil

Welcome and I know how you feel. I still feel this way after 40+ years of taking photos. Mostly how I fixed "it" if I can call it fixed is reading books on photography and studying the masters. Decide what type of photography you want to do and look to those that are great at it. Landscape Ansel Adams etc. I know there are those that are against nudes but if you want to learn portrait photography study Arny Freytag. Up until a few years ago when he "retired" he was took 90+% of the Playboy centerfolds. The guy knows portrait photography. There are many many others that know what they are doing as well. I know "what to do" and "rules" of photography but many times I get in a hurry and forget them. That I haven't found a fix for. And I'm with you on the film thing. I have my share of digital but prefer my film cameras.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome and enjoy the forum.

TL;DR I'm a beginner photographer despite 3 years of recent film experience, my favorite cameras are the Z6II and FM2, and I'm learning the RB67 and waiting to receive a Bessa R.

I'm in a little bit of a weird spot with my photograpy journey, and I'm trying to figure out where to go from here.

My digital journey saw me rapidly go from a cheap DSLR kit to a D850 to a Z6 and then a Z6II because I like tech, and while I really like the Z6 platform, it is a little of a double edged sword. I got lucky and was able to travel a lot, and the Z6 platform has proven an extremely good travel camera, but the flip side is, I haven't really been practicing composition or exposure at all, I've been taking travel snapshots. I do use manual exposure a lot because EVF really makes manual exposure enjoyable and easy, I love how you can change the EVF color balance and even go monochrome, I love IBIS when I'm shooting on the move or from a vehicle, I shoot in low light an absolute ton and the camera handles that amazingly, and just overall the Z6 platform has exceeded my needs, but I'm still taking tourist pictures. Only reason I got rid of the Z6 is I wanted to trade it in for the incremental improvements of the Z6II. I'm happy with this camera, but I feel way underskilled with it, and I want to better take advantage of its capabilities.

However, I feel like I prefer the experience of shooting film over digital, and I spend more time and money on film than digital. I ended up as a film camera collector pretty quickly after trying photography. Given my strong collectors impulse and my love of vintage technology, this probably isn't surprising. I like collecting tech, so on the one hand this isn't a problem that I have tons of cameras that I don't need, but on the other hand, I feel like my access to gear far outstrips my skill with said gear. I have a mountain of film cameras and I love shooting film cameras, but I'm not actually a good photographer. I understand film cameras on a technical basis, and I can take a usable photograph with one, but my composition is poor and my exposures basic and functional. I have some legendary kit in my collection, and I'm happy just having collected it to put on a shelf, but still I want to be a good enough photographer to use it and do it justice. Out of all my cameras, I'd say my favorite camera to use (not necessarily to have collected) is the Nikon FM2. Ergonomically it just fits me, shooting it is an absolutely wonderful tactile experience. It's got great lenses available for it, it's durable and reliable as all get out, it has a very fast shutter, and since they're commonly available, they can be repaired. I also just got an RB67 and am in the process of figuring out the ins and outs of this thing. No, it's not my first medium format film camera, I've spent a chunk of time shooting TLRs, but I definitely feel this was a huge jump in complexity. Also I really want to use 35mm rangefinders more, but ergonomically none of the ones I own are as smooth and comfortable as my FM2s, so I just ordered a Voigtlander Bessa R, I have high hopes I'll enjoy that like I do the FM2.

So where does this leave me? I'm not really a beginner photographer, but also I'm totally a beginner photographer. I have 3 years of recent film photography experience, but in that all my time has been spent shooting on a bunch of different platforms, and I haven't really developed any artistic skill, my skill is purely technological in that I know how a camera works and how to expose a visible image. It's the same with digital. I know what the controls on my Z6II do and how do use them, but that technical understanding of the tool can't compensate for my lack of basic artistic knowledge.

Now, how do I fix that?
Welcome to the forum - good to see another kindred spirit here! I have a Bessa R, Bessa L, Bessa R3M and Zeiss Ikon SW bodies, with Leica and Voightlander lenses from 25 to 135mm, L39 and LM mounts. I also have two Visoflex units and a Visoflex bellows for macro and telephoto work. I also have an original Mamiya RB-67 and RB-67 Pro SD with 90,140 Macro, 180 and 500mm f/6.0 APO lenses. I've used an FM2, but prefer the F series with their 100% viewfinder view and interchangeable finders.
To avoid "tourist snapshots," keep your finger off the shutter release button until you're satisfied with the scene in your viewfinder.

Greetings...

Welcome to TPF. This is a great place to work on your creativity. Be sure to check out The Weekly Challenge. Have fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back