How to get tham to smile?

maytay20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mwphoto.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok when you are doing a shoot and you are about to take the photo what do you say to the person you photographing to get them to smile / feel comfortable with you. This has been bugging me for a while I feel I just don't make them feel comfortable enough to get nice relaxed happy photos. Also not every time but a lot of the time I say look this way and smile and I hate that but I can't think of anything else to say / do. What do you do??? And how do you differ from kids to adults. I love shooting kids and usually have no problem making them comfortable teenagers / adults are a whole another story though. Thanks, Mary

I was about to suggest say something dirty instead of say cheese, but kids may not be the right audience for that trick.

Apply a similar thing though. Figure out what makes them laugh. I photographed a 4 year old's party and had reasonably success with "gooey slime"

Just a thought: Making them comfortable comes long before taking the first shots...

Have an assistant give you moose antlers and bunny ears and generally act silly behind you. Peekaboo works great for the really little ones.

For couples "it's okay to act like you like each other" has worked with some success for me :)

I actually spend a hell of a lot of time looking through the camera and talking to them about random stuff. I occasionally say fairly random things to break them out of the "oh my god the dude with the camera is looking at me" thing.

Recently when I took pictures for a local author, I asked her about her garden and such (something she was very proud of). At one point, I said "Oh god... look over there..." (and pointed to the left) "What?!" she said, "Oh nothing, I just wanted to see how quickly you would look if I acted like something bad was happening."

It was actually a very stupid joke, but it totally got a laugh and a "WHAT?!"

The result was this pic...

Denise Photoshoot - 060 TPF.jpg

Whatever you do, I think they key is just to get people to sort of forget there's a camera pointed at them, and to keep your eye on that viewfinder for as much of the time as you can, so you can grab the shot when it's just right.

Works for me anyway.

BTW, not ALL of my jokes are that stupid. :)

Depending on who it is asking a question can usually do it. Like: Do you like sex? etc.

I've only done studio work with my close friends, and I know how to get them to laugh, so I can't help you with studio work.

I can give you some advice with travel work. I travel alot and especially to places that don't speak English. It helps to know a few funny words in the language they speak- espeically for kids, "Booger" or the like... Just before you take the shot scream it and make a funny face. It works alot, it definately worked in India...
If you can get people to pose the way you want, get the shot lined up and focused right, then make yourself look like a fool. It's just the way it has to be done, for me at least. I really don't care about my repuation in foriegn countries.

Bifurcator had a good one, "Do you like sex?" I'm sure that would work just fine, but it might cause some mega awkard moments if you didn't have a good model.

When my friend takes regular pictures he always says something odd or strange… He’ll say everybody say “sexy mosquito” instead of cheese and everyone starts laughing. I guess it gets your cheeks warmed up for a smile. It works.

Awesome! I will Definentally try some of these. Although I don't know about the sex one. I just recently lost 100 pounds and I have been asked out at 2 of my last 3 weddings I have done. I may send the wrong message. :lmao: “sexy mosquito” is a good one!

Awesome! I will Definentally try some of these. Although I don't know about the sex one. I just recently lost 100 pounds and I have been asked out at 2 of my last 3 weddings I have done. I may send the wrong message. :lmao: “sexy mosquito” is a good one!

Congratulations on the weight loss that’s wonderful, sexy mosquito!

Funny how everybody laughs about the sexy jokes. If it works, it works. And kids can have the biggest mood swings. You'll need some lollies on hand to soothe them. (Or maybe even the adults, as well).

I don't think a lolli would work for me but a beer might...

Around friends I break wind. That always gets a laugh and smile.

I shoot mostly kids and have had great results by saying things that just don't make sense. I had a girl who was so afraid of cameras that the client (a chiropractor) told me if I captured a real smile she would give me 4 visits on top of my fee. The girl was enjoying a sucker and making sure I was not getting near her. I put a 180mm lens on and stayed my distance. After finally getting her to speak to me and loosen up I asked her if her sucker was hamburger flavor. She giggled for a second and I got this shot.

http://www.joecoulsonphotography.com/Rachel2_op_428x600.jpg

I always try and kids to talk about there lives and what is going on in them. This usually leads to something funny that they have either done or said and there's my shot. With adults it is either much easier or much harder. I try the (don't know how to explain this is words) horse type of lips fluttering lol you know that sound that a horse makes besides neighing. Anyway I ask the client to do this so they can loosen their lips. I usually shoot before they have recomposed themselves and I get great results. The main thing I feel is to be yourself, it sets the tone for a shoot. People will feed off your energy and if it's positive, your results will be also. Also, count to three, have them blink on "2" and take the picture on "3"

my 2 cents

I think just general banter works well. Just distract them from that big eye that is stating them down and try to get them to relax. Personally The best thing to do is try and get out of teh awkwardness of the moment alot of times I try not to say "Smile!!" as this is the bes way to trigger the big cheesey fake smile that you do not want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back