How to introduce a pointing object into a picture

victor43

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello.

Could anyone suggest what would be the best program to try if all I wanted to do was to edit a digital photograph so that I could insert a arrow or another type of pointer which will point out any object in a picture to all viewers ? So say I took a photograph of a tree with a bird which is hard to see from the picture. Editing the picture and introducing a pointing object I can show where the bird is in the picture to anyone is viewing the picture.

Secondly if I also wanted to show say a measurement of a particular object in the picture what software would be best to show this ? What I mean is if I wanted to add the following lines to indicate a objects width like this <--------- 12' ----------> I don't know if this question would come under CAD type software or not.

Thanking you in advance

Victor

i second the gimp recommendation. it's free software similar to photoshop

I used to work with a salesman who wasn't very computer literate...and I showed him (several times) how to do this in MS Paint.

haha yes, MS Paint for the win!

Gimp is a lot better, but MS Paint has the distinction of you being able to jump in and figure out how to do this (then actually do it) in under 5 minutes instead of an hour, probably.

ms-paint-is-awsome.jpg

I used to work with a salesman who wasn't very computer literate...and I showed him (several times) how to do this in MS Paint.

Thanks for the reply. Would you be able to provide any instructions on how to do this in paint ? I am familiar with paint but do not know how to create a pointer object in paint.

Victor

Thanks everyone. I will try both GIMP and Paint. I am somewhat familiar with Paint but do not know how to create a pointer object like the pointed arrow or something like the windows default mouse. Anyone care to provide any links or instructions on how to do this in Paint ? Thanks

Update: I should mention that I am using Windows XP SP3 MSPaint.

Last edited:
In Paint, you'll probably just have to draw the arrow.

In GIMP, you could also draw the arrow, but there should be an arrow shaped brush somewhere that you can just select and then click away. If not, you can make one (not as hard as it sounds).

edit
Just checked, and it doesn't look like there is an arrow in the default brush package. Google 'gimp arrow brushes' or something and I'm sure you'll find a set.

In either Paint or GIMP, you could use that polygon tool, draw an arrow, then fill it in with the desired color. If you're going to need it all the time, it would be better to just make a custom brush though. I don't think you can do that in Paint, but it's pretty easy in GIMP.

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Custom_Brushes/

Last edited:

In GIMP, you could also draw the arrow, but there should be an arrow shaped brush somewhere that you can just select and then click away. If not, you can make one (not as hard as it sounds).

edit
Just checked, and it doesn't look like there is an arrow in the default brush package. Google 'gimp arrow brushes' or something and I'm sure you'll find a set.

In either Paint or GIMP, you could use that polygon tool, draw an arrow, then fill it in with the desired color. If you're going to need it all the time, it would be better to just make a custom brush though. I don't think you can do that in Paint, but it's pretty easy in GIMP.

GIMP - Custom Brushes Tutorial

Many thanks for the help. I was able to add some more brushes into GIMP without any trouble. But now when I drag over a brush onto the picture that I have open for editing I can only drag the brush onto the picture after that I cannot move it around to where in the picture I would ideally like to have the brush. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Last edited:

edit

GIMP - Custom Brushes Tutorial

It will be an add-on script that can be found here.

Most reactions

Back