How to make hair longer

Shootingyourshot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
tomika_hair_suggest_50.png
inspiration.jpg

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to studio photography, although I have been doing natural light/ on location for years. I did my first paid (studio) shoot and the client wants me to make her hair long enough to cover her breasts in photoshop.

I have used a combination of the content aware move tool and the healing brush to get what you see on the left but am at a loss on how to make it look smoother and more realistic. Any suggestions?

Also, I am open to suggestions on improvements on my setup too. I did a three flash set up. One on the camera, one at a 45 degree above to the right and one on the left pointing at the background. The backdrop was originally white.

She was inspired by the second photo.

Sigh, why do people think Photoshop/editing is magic and will heal ALL ills.
They see what ILM can do in movies, and think it is easy for us to do same.
I hope you are charging her for all the editing time and effort.

The "left" pic is missing, so we can't see what you did.

The straight hair of the model in the second/bottom pic would be much easier to "extend," than the curved hair of the first pic.

Sigh, why do people think Photoshop/editing is magic and will heal ALL ills.
They see what ILM can do in movies, and think it is easy for us to do same.
I hope you are charging her for all the editing time and effort.

The "left" pic is missing, so we can't see what you did.

The straight hair of the model in the second/bottom pic would be much easier to "extend," than the curved hair of the first pic.
Hey thanks for responding so quickly! I extended the hair on her left breast and not the right. Here's what it looked like before the hair edit. I'm not really charging her anything extra because i'm a newb at studio shooting. If this goes ok I will definitely be increasing my rates.

Attachments

• before_edit_smiley_50.png
    before_edit_smiley_50.png
    580.9 KB · Views: 64
Hi thanks! I tried that, that's how I learned about the content-aware tool. It's just like ac12 said, it's hard to do with curved hair and not on a background.
Cool mate, PIXimperfect is usually my go to on the rare occasions I want to do something complex.

Most of the time it's easier and better to have it done IRL, I suspect with that image some hair extensions by a skilled hairdresser is a lot easier than trying to do it in post, but kinda hard to do after its shot!

Because the hair is not straight, the longer you make it, the more scraggly it will look, with hair sticking out to the side.

As @weepete said, doing it before you record is a LOT less work than post.

Adjust your rates based on how much post processing the client wants, and how difficult it will be to do it.
You also have to educate the client on what is and is not practical.
The client has to understand that when they want you to create something from nothing, like extended hair, that post processing will cost them more than a straight shoot.

I have built up a library of custom and purchase hair brushes to paint in realistic hair. Google custom hair brushes in PS you'll find a lot of information on how to make your own custom brushes and use them, as well as free and pay brushes to download. I create multiple blank layers to paint in hair in layers, using the subject own hair to sample color, and altering textures to create natural looking, fuller hair. The secret is to not hurry. One of my favorite brushes only has three strands that gives multiple effects when you change the size, or rotate it.

Last edited:
It might be aggravating to grow your hair out, especially if it seems to take an eternity. Fortunately, you can speed up the process by modifying your typical hair care routine and employing alternative hair growth procedures.

1.Keeping Your Hair in Good Shape
2. Alter your hair-washing routine.
3. When it comes to your hair, avoid using harsh chemicals.
4. Gently blow dry your hair.
5. Experiment with all-natural hair style methods and products.
6. Once every two weeks, apply a hair mask.
7. Keep your hair safe from the elements.

It might be aggravating to grow your hair out, especially if it seems to take an eternity. Fortunately, you can speed up the process by modifying your typical hair care routine and employing alternative hair growth procedures.

1.Keeping Your Hair in Good Shape
2. Alter your hair-washing routine.
3. When it comes to your hair, avoid using harsh chemicals.
4. Gently blow dry your hair.
5. Experiment with all-natural hair style methods and products.
6. Once every two weeks, apply a hair mask.
7. Keep your hair safe from the elements.
Uhm, clearly you didn't read what this post is about, :highly_amused:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back