How to meter skin correct when using off camera flashes?

albrittonseth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Normally, I use spot metering in my camera and meter the cheek of the individual for correct exposure. However, since i'm adding flash to the picture, how should this be done?

Should I meter the individual and drop the exposure in my camera to the exact amount of stops I boost my flashes?

Also, how do I know how many stops of light I am letting in when I use my flashes. For example, I have two sb900. If I put them on say half power, how many stops of light is that extra to picture. Or, how do I judge how many stops of light I am introducing to the picture?

Thanks for taking the time to read my question. You guys know alot and I appreciate any advice you can give.

Two simple solutions to your querries.....

Shoot a grey card
1243806847_PwVMh-XL.jpg

Use a hand held light meter
1243806903_dusQZ-XL.jpg

Normally, I use spot metering in my camera and meter the cheek of the individual for correct exposure. However, since i'm adding flash to the picture, how should this be done?

Should I meter the individual and drop the exposure in my camera to the exact amount of stops I boost my flashes?

Also, how do I know how many stops of light I am letting in when I use my flashes. For example, I have two sb900. If I put them on say half power, how many stops of light is that extra to picture. Or, how do I judge how many stops of light I am introducing to the picture?

Thanks for taking the time to read my question. You guys know alot and I appreciate any advice you can give.

Do you have any idea of what you're doing? If not, I can point you at some stuff to read.

Do you know what a Guide Number is? Also, where are you shooting this person at? Do you want to ambient underexposed or added in?

A handheld incident light/flash meter is the idea tool for this. With an incident meter, you can measure the light that is hitting your subject and the meter will give you exposure settings for that. This is quite a bit different from the reflected light meter that is in your camera, which measures the light bouncing off of your subject. With a reflected light meter, you have to do things like use the spot meter and compensate the exposure from the suggested values. Of course, you can use a grey card to help get proper exposure with the reflected light meter...but that won't really help you when using flash.

As alluded to, you can calculate the light from your flashes by using the Guide Number (GN). Keep in mind that you need to be aware of the GN of your flash, the zoom setting of the flash head, the ISO setting & flash power setting....you can then figure out the aperture for correct exposure. And of course, if you use any modifiers, that must will affect the output.

Most reactions

Back