How to properly handle a photo shoot

cnick975

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so I did my first photo shoot last Saturday and everything went perfect! I was not even going to charge the guy but he was so happy with the pictures he insisted to pay me. I just want to know what are the proper steps after the photo shoot is done. For example after the photo shoot I brought out my laptop and reviewed the pictures with the client and he chose the ones he liked, what other steps are necessary afterwards. Like putting the pictures on a CD etc. Also any tips you guys can give me to do during the photo shoot. At times it was a bit awkward because the client did not know how to pose and was nervous to pose so I had to break him out of his shell a bit. Thanks!

Depending on what it is you're shooting, the most simple procedure for me is:

Arrive at location, shoot.

Go home and either edit or mail film off to the lab

When finished by whatever deadline you tell the client, put up on proofing site and mail out invoice for services.

Client purchases prints or downloads off site.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

Ummm, well, I would process the images before I showed them to my client. It is also your job to direct the shoot as far as posing is concerned. They are looking to you for direction. I would decide what you want your output to be, CD or prints, BEFORE you start a session so everyone is on the same page.

You showed the pictures before you had a chance to view them in private or edit them? I wouldn't have the guts for that

Well it was my first shoot so I did not really know, luckily he liked the pictures so it did not back fire on me lol. I am mainly doing portraits and car photography.

Here's a tip I give people. It really helps a lot if you tell people how you are going to conduct the actual shooting part of a photo shoot. A lot of people are nervous in front of a camera. First off, when fiddling with the camera, TELL people, "I am just testing the exposure" or "I am just checking my lighting set-up". Let them know there is no need to pose or to smile or to be "on". Years ago, we were often told to shoot the first five minutes with no film, to help people warm up. That saved $15 right there, but in the digital era, it's dumb.

It helps to EXPLAIN to people, directly, with comments like: We're going to shoot for 40 minutes. What we will do is set up a pose, and then I will take 3 or 4 or 5 shots, and then I will tell you how to move into the next variation of that pose, or we'll set up a brand new pose. Not every shot has to be perfect. We are shooting for a 1 out of five ratio here. We want a variety of expressions. Not all smiles, not all pouts, not all formal...we want a mixture of different expressions. Not each shot has to be a big, cheesy smile.

If you TELL people what I just told you, you will be able to get people to loosen up fast. If they do a pose or expression that is good, say "Great! Looks really good!" so they get some positive feedback. What this does is it reduces some of the fundamental fears people have, and it clearly sets the expectations. Many people want to make each shot "perfect", which is an utter disaster waiting to happen. A subject worrying about making each shot "perfect"almost always leads to boring or even bad expression and posing. You must tell them that not every shot is expected to be "perfect".

If a person is not "in the groove" by 10 minutes, take a break and show them a quick LCD review, and give them some positive feedback on some good shots, so they can literally see what they are putting forward, and what you have been trying to achieve.

There are several reasons NOT to show a "client" any non-processed photos.
everything looks fine on the cameras tiny screen. NEVER show anyone pics on the cameras screen unless you are just testing for posing.
Processing isn't just about fixing mistakes. even if you feel you "got it right in camera", processing reflects the "style" you envisioned for the picture. It might be as simple as cropping, or adjusting the tilt, or minor corrections to WB and color. you only want to show people your finished product because it might be noticeably different than what they saw BEFORE processing. you dont want to give them a photo that is "bad" because they happened to see it and it turns out to be one you cant fix later.

Thanks Derrel for the comment that will be a big help next time I have a shoot!
pixmedic yeah I know now I know for future reference lol.

Yeah I also agree with not showing them photos before hand. if they see a bunch of average looking photos and just a few stellar ones they may begin to feel that your work is average. only show them the good photos. Also as a photographer it's generally easier for you to filter thru the bad photos to find the really good photos. It will take a customer a lot more time to go thru all the photos, trying to decide which ones they like or don't like. I have heard when you give a client to many photos sometimes they wind up not picking anything because they don't know which one they should choose. so just show your best work.

As far as posing, that is something that takes time to learn, the more shoots you do the more better you should get at communicating to someone, reading up and studying posing definatly is worth the trouble. its hard at first to try and remember everything you need to help them get a good pose. but little by little you will slowy become accustomed to explaining how you want them. showing them how you want them. I do that all the time. im 6-4 225lbs. so it generally gets a good laugh which helps people relax. I try to get to know them. talk to them become their friend so it's less awkward.

When I start I will also let them know to just relax that i'm testing the lighting. it tends to put them at ease and ive found when I get the lighting right and i'm just talking with them I can get a shot or two of them just being natural.

Yeah I also agree with not showing them photos before hand. if they see a bunch of average looking photos and just a few stellar ones they may begin to feel that your work is average. only show them the good photos. Also as a photographer it's generally easier for you to filter thru the bad photos to find the really good photos. It will take a customer a lot more time to go thru all the photos, trying to decide which ones they like or don't like. I have heard when you give a client to many photos sometimes they wind up not picking anything because they don't know which one they should choose. so just show your best work.

As far as posing, that is something that takes time to learn, the more shoots you do the more better you should get at communicating to someone, reading up and studying posing definatly is worth the trouble. its hard at first to try and remember everything you need to help them get a good pose. but little by little you will slowy become accustomed to explaining how you want them. showing them how you want them. I do that all the time. im 6-4 225lbs. so it generally gets a good laugh which helps people relax. I try to get to know them. talk to them become their friend so it's less awkward.

When I start I will also let them know to just relax that i'm testing the lighting. it tends to put them at ease and ive found when I get the lighting right and i'm just talking with them I can get a shot or two of them just being natural.
Thanks for the reply! Biggest thing I learned was how to make the client feel more comfortable with the photo shoot! Thanks for the tips

Most reactions

New Topics

Back