How to remove sticky decaying rubber from my Spyder 4 Pro?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone had to deal with the sticky decaying rubber thing? It's pretty gross. If you had successfully manage to get rid of this nastiness, what worked the best?

This is happening to my Datacolor Spyder 4 Pro. Granted it's an old calibrator at this point but for what I do it works perfectly fine and good enough for me. Plus it was given to me free by a friend.

Erwin-240205-86933.jpg

Thank you!

I had a mouse where the rubber cover was going like that.
I got a popsicle stick, cut it, then sharpened the end like a chisel.
Then I scrapped off that yuky rubber. Slow and messy work.
I think I finished up using something called "goo gone."

I use Isopropyl alcohol.

I use Isopropyl alcohol.

Nice to have this. Most of my experience is with removing decayed, sticky foam from 35mm camera film doors and bodies. Alcohol and thin wood improv chisels(popsicle stix)work well. I did manage to scrape off the coating Nikon plastered on the old N90s/F90x film doors that turned into flypaper--isopropyl and patience did the job. Care should be taken to keep the sticky gick well away from shutters, mirrors and any moving parts.

Nice to have this. Most of my experience is with removing decayed, sticky foam from 35mm camera film doors and bodies. Alcohol and thin wood improv chisels(popsicle stix)work well. I did manage to scrape off the coating Nikon plastered on the old N90s/F90x film doors that turned into flypaper--isopropyl and patience did the job. Care should be taken to keep the sticky gick well away from shutters, mirrors and any moving parts.

Yep, that sounds exactly what I did when I replaced the decayed..basically oil foam seals in my Yashica FX2. I used many..many toothpicks and tediously scraped all the old foam away little by little until it was clean enough to apply the new one.

Erwin-230719-84312.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back