How to save up for equipment?

480sparky said:
Extended warranties are usually wasted money.

To some extent, but when I dropped my d5000 body and heard "egg cracked" when the body and the lens seperated, manufacturers warranty would not cover that. Most of my high priced electronics are covered.

So what is your ROI on all your other EW's?

480sparky said:
So what is your ROI on all your other EW's?

ROI? If you are wondering to what extent my coverage is, all my electronics are covered under ADH(accidentall) both from BB and B&H.

ROI? If you are wondering to what extent my coverage is, all my electronics are covered under ADH(accidentall) both from BB and B&H.

Return On Investment. In other words, have you saved more in repairs than you have spent on all those warranties?

Work, save, invest, and selling off older gear to pay for new gear.

I wish I could say it was my most expensive hobby. But for only 23 y/o I suppose I am doing alright.

My other money pit:

i-FPm8DBr-M.jpg

480sparky said:
Return On Investment. In other words, have you saved more in repairs than you have spent on all those warranties?

On the camera I think I did. I got the warranty on the camera so I can focus on the triangle rather than having my camera in a bubble. I had a few cracked screens on a few devices. Could I change out a laptop, smartphone screen etc? Yes, but the expense on the screen alone could pay for the the warranty have them do it, plus a battery and A/C adapter would be around $175-200 on top of the screen costs. I think my ROI is good.

On the camera I think I did. I got the warranty on the camera so I can focus on the triangle rather than having my camera in a bubble. I had a few cracked screens on a few devices. Could I change out a laptop, smartphone screen etc? Yes, but the expense on the screen alone could pay for the the warranty have them do it, plus a battery and A/C adapter would be around $175-200 on top of the screen costs. I think my ROI is good.

No, not just the ROI on ONE warranty..... on ALL of them........... together.

If you've spent $2000 on extended warranties over the years, and incurred $500 in repairs (covered by them), you're out $1500. I can buy a lot of nice glass for $1500.

How to save up for equipment?
When I was younger, I saved up by modifying my spending habits.

If you want to spend $5,000 on camera gear in the next year you have to divert $417 a month you are currently spending to your camera gear savings account, or figure out a way to earn $417 more per month.

How much Red Bull (or equivelent) do you drink monthly? How often do you eat at restaurants? How much a month do you spend on entertainment? What other routine spending can you re-direct to savings?

480sparky said:

If you've spent $2000 on extended warranties over the years, and incurred $500 in repairs (covered by them), you're out $1500. I can buy a lot of nice glass for $1500.

In a guesstimation since 2006( I was overseas beforehand) want to say about $900-1100 in warranties but that's covering 3 laptops, 2 smartphones, 2DSLR bodies (d7000 newest body :), 50mm 1.4 and 70-300mm telephoto lens. Repairs, I say one laptop replacement, 1 laptop cracked screen, dslr damaged and I say a Sony DVD cam replacement about $6-700 so far I think I'm getting my money's worth.

All warranty programs are designed to make the business more money. They are never meant to pay off for the consumer. They are not your friends, thus they are not doing it as a favor to you. It's pure profit for them in most cases, since they will virtually never pay off.

Josh220 said:
All warranty programs are designed to make the business more money. They are never meant to pay off for the consumer. They are not your friends, thus they are not doing it as a favor to you. It's pure profit for them in most cases, since they will virtually never pay off.

True but I seen so many people pissed that their newly bought device is cracked and the manufacture will not covered it. I'd pay a few dollars more than more f-bombs. In general my computer, photography , and smartdevices stuff I carry around gots to be safe. You maybe a defensive driver, but that one bump in a hallway on a busy school day...ouch! Not leaving things to chance.

In a guesstimation since 2006( I was overseas beforehand) want to say about $900-1100 in warranties but that's covering 3 laptops, 2 smartphones, 2DSLR bodies (d7000 newest body :), 50mm 1.4 and 70-300mm telephoto lens. Repairs, I say one laptop replacement, 1 laptop cracked screen, dslr damaged and I say a Sony DVD cam replacement about $6-700 so far I think I'm getting my money's worth.

Since the 1970s, I've purchased absolutely zero for extended warranties. For repairs that they would cover, I've spent $350. I'm way ahead of the game.

Of course, I've never broken anything that warranties don't cover.

no one just goes out and buys every single gadget they need. You start off with an entry body and two decent entry lenses, a bag and a battery. Then you buy another lens later on, and a tripod later on and a battery pack later on etc. It's a collection you grow over time, selling your old stuff and bringing in new items one at a time. Think of your catalogue of photos, somewhere on your computer. You started with a few and every holiday, event or activity brought in more photos and like that, you create a photographic collection.

I am being a hypocrite by saying this. I saved enough to buy the D5100 and some decent lenses at the end of last year. But being in matric this year, I decided a camera would not be used as often as she should be and decided to wait until the end of this year to buy a better body and better lenses. Can't say I regret it: my D5100 would be coated in dust. = /

Any way, I hope you find a way to get your collection on track.

A little tip to take with a pinch of salt: I came 7th in a competition to win a D7000 and 18-105 with an image taken on my 2006/2007 Sony DSC-H9 compact - I competed against DSLRs. I know it's ironic, trying to win a camera only a good camera can win you, but perhaps if you find a recent shot and sent it in, you could win a great lens or even body that will give your equipment collection the boost it needs. Obviously you can't guarantee a win but it's worth trying.

480sparky said:

You need to be more careful. :biglaugh:

:sexywink:

480sparky said:
Since the 1970s, I've purchased absolutely zero for extended warranties. For repairs that they would cover, I've spent $350. I'm way ahead of the game.

Of course, I've never broken anything that warranties don't cover.

That's pretty good but I've also had a laptop replaced it can't be all that bad :) but I definitely see all of your points.

Bitter Jeweler said:
You need to be more careful. :biglaugh:

:sexywink:

In general I am, but when I finally do have a problem like a bad mobo for instance, then it's cheaper to replace than to fix the unit. Fortunately I only dropped my camera once without any lenses being damaged :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back