How to shoot a white dog

Puscas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A friend came over with her very adorable puppy dog. Of course, I tried to take some nice pictures, but the dog is very jumpy and, most of all, very white! The AF could hardly get a clear shot.
This is what I came up with (on the first I fiddled around with contrast and such, the second I just cropped). So my question is: are there ways to make it easier to get a good pic with such a dog? I didn't try a flash, should I? Let me know!

dudley003-1.jpg

dudley006.jpg

thanks for looking!

pascal

Oh my! :shock: Look at that adorable fluff-ball!
In the second photo he doesn't even look real! He looks like a soft toy.
As to him being white ... I think you got it, don't you? (I have no solid advice on how to photograph a white dog! Sorry...)

My daughter (who I had to call over for these two, I knew she'd love them!) likes the first best and I like the second, the close up. White and pink, and a bit of black... no more. So soft. So cuddly. :D.

LaFoto, what would I do without you! :hugs: Thanks for commenting. Nice to see you AND your daughter like these.
I'm actually not to worried about getting the white right, but the focus. Well, it seems you don't find it too bad.

Anyone any other thoughts?

pascal

Shoot the dog like you would snow. Bracket some under-exposures in half-stop increments. Flash would be a bad idea. It would fill in all the shadows in the fur.

Think thats hard? One of my dogs is pure black. I have such a hard time focusing on him, and when you take a picture of him straight on its nearly impossible to see any features of his face. It looks like a black blob lol.

Think thats hard? One of my dogs is pure black. I have such a hard time focusing on him, and when you take a picture of him straight on its nearly impossible to see any features of his face. It looks like a black blob lol.

yes, well what would a pro do in a situation like that? (I can imagine a black dog would be even more difficult, with a black nose and eyes and all).

As for taking the picture as if it were snow....shouldn't you then be overexposing?

pascal

Completely unrelated to photography...I read the subject line and my first thought was "why would you want to do that???"....yea I'm dumb

Completely unrelated to photography...I read the subject line and my first thought was "why would you want to do that???"....yea I'm dumb

and my first thought was 'hopefully with a camera and not a .22'

EDIT: I should probably comment while I'm here. Would manual focus work better to focus on him/her?

Most reactions

Back