How to take such great detailed photos like this?

greenytime

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Last edited:
Hi Greenytime,

You will want a macro lens for the close up detail. There are a lot of DIY solutions for a seamless white background for small items like this. You can buy expensive lights and a light tent or copy stand. You can also build your own with white poster board and desk lamps.

This is a GREAT video on the DIY. And it's amusing to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you so much!!

Right now I only have a simple point and shoot camera (canon sd770 - working my way up to DSLR) so i am going to work on the white background and getting good lighting for now.

Happy holidays!

Welcome to the forum.

Getting the photo nice and sharp is the easy part. Probably a good idea to have the camera on a tripod and using flash/strobe type lighting will help to ensure a sharp photo.
As for getting the background to look good, that has to do with a proper set up and good lighting & exposure technique. It might also be helped along in post (Photoshop etc.)

Something like this should be doable, even with a P&S style camera.

Any advice/tutorials anywhere on how to get the proper setup and lighting/exposure for taking such shots?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

Getting the photo nice and sharp is the easy part. Probably a good idea to have the camera on a tripod and using flash/strobe type lighting will help to ensure a sharp photo.
As for getting the background to look good, that has to do with a proper set up and good lighting & exposure technique. It might also be helped along in post (Photoshop etc.)

Something like this should be doable, even with a P&S style camera.

It's a clamp light from the Wal-Mart hardware section with a 100 watt bulb. LOL. I tucked it in behind the paper inside the milk crate. In front, a 580 EX mounted. You can see them on the sides of this one. (the box I cut out)

IMG_1603-2 by Ingerson"PCD", on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back