How would you go about arranging a documentary with anither camera person?

fatlip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Am about to start another documentary about a contemporary artists, it's very simple and 2 min to 4 min documentary.,

I asked a old fella from france who took a short course at my film school to join me with shooting it,
he also has a canon 5d3, same exact gear, same flash, I was even the one help him buy everything from eBay too, he even has the same Lilliput monitor with focus assistance

So far I arranged to shoot it at the location which is a public out door event, we will shoot video and photos then return to the studio, my friend only likes taking the images and videos, he has hearing problems and uses a hearing aid, also he can't stand editing., so I said I'll produce the final then if that's the case.

The problem is that he is telling people that we are both producing this together, Yet he only wants to do camera, I like to share the credits 50/50 but what's more annoying is whenever I even share how I edit something wi him he ignores me and does no take notes, basically has no plans to get involved with the editing and color correction etc.

It's very funny because I started another thread where some third person who worked PR at a instatution wanted to claim he was producing a film i was shooting, editing, basically doing everything and now a camera person i asked to help me shoot wants to say he produced something with me 50/50 while refusing to contribute to editing, concept, etc.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what your question is at all or how it really connects with the thread title.

The only thing I can say is learn from your two events and get details written up and sorted out before you do any more collaborative work. After that, eh, I wouldn't fuss about the 50/50 thing - its just a claim on a 4min production and in the end its hardly going to affect anything much. Yeah it might be annoying, but then again you should have gotten things sorted before the event to know who was doing what and where etc..

I agree with you that i learn from my experience too, of course,

all i am asking is if i shoot a doc and ask someone to come along shoot photos and videos, i do the editing since its my doc, and they wait until i am almost done ith editing and the final to give a opinion on the sound does that make them producers, directors, film makers?
This is what i am saying

It doesn't make them anything. The terms produce, director etc.. are very specific terms generally associated with very specific tasks. Doing bits here and bits there as a team means that no one person is taking an official "position" its just a joint effort.

That said if they are doing photos and video I guess it makes then one of the two photographers, one of the two cinematographers and since sound is in there too one of the audio techs. Other than affecting the credits (and honestly its always abit silly when someone does a credits roll and its one or two people only under all the different headings) I can't imagine how it will change much - and with my stance on credits, I'd just put made by and then list both names.

Overread said:
It doesn't make them anything. The terms produce, director etc.. are very specific terms generally associated with very specific tasks. Doing bits here and bits there as a team means that no one person is taking an official "position" its just a joint effort.

That said if they are doing photos and video I guess it makes then one of the two photographers, one of the two cinematographers and since sound is in there too one of the audio techs. Other than affecting the credits (and honestly its always abit silly when someone does a credits roll and its one or two people only under all the different headings) I can't imagine how it will change much - and with my stance on credits, I'd just put made by and then list both names.

Ok just making sure, thanks

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back